all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [Newbie in Emacs] Predictive-mode invalid face color issue.
@ 2013-06-23 19:11 Maikol
From: Maikol @ 2013-06-23 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello list,

Firstly, I'm a newbie using Emacs (a couple of months), but since I
discovered AUCTEX I use it everyday to write my LaTeX documents. It's
simply awesome.

I discovered predictive-mode from EmacsWiki but I had some issues for make
it work.

My .emacs looks like this (only the part for predictive-mode)

;; predictive install location
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/predictive/")
;; dictionary locations
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/predictive/texinfo")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/predictive/html")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/predictive/latex")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/predictive/misc")
;; load predictive package
(autoload 'predictive-mode "predictive" "predictive" t)

Now, If I open some file, then type M-x predictive-mode and finally write
some text, for starters there is not any autocompletion and in the
*Message* buffer appears this,

Invalid face color [3120 times]
cancel-timer: Invalid timerInvalid face color
Invalid face color [306 times]
cancel-timer: Invalid timerInvalid face color
Invalid face color [306 times]
cancel-timer: Invalid timerInvalid face color
Invalid face color [306 times]
cancel-timer: Invalid timerInvalid face color
Invalid face color [306 times]
cancel-timer: Invalid timerInvalid face color
Invalid face color [630 times].

Does someone have any idea what happened?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

* Re: [Newbie in Emacs] Predictive-mode invalid face color issue.
@ 2013-07-22 14:12 ` Maikol Solís
From: Maikol Solís @ 2013-07-22 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Does anyone have any clue about this "invalid face color" thing?

Best regards.

--
Maikol

* RE: [Newbie in Emacs] Predictive-mode invalid face color issue.
@ 2013-07-22 16:27   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-07-22 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maikol Solís; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > Invalid face color [3120 times]
> > cancel-timer: Invalid timerInvalid face color
> > Invalid face color [306 times]
> > cancel-timer: Invalid timerInvalid face color
> > Invalid face color [306 times]
> > cancel-timer: Invalid timerInvalid face color
> > Invalid face color [306 times]
> > cancel-timer: Invalid timerInvalid face color
> > Invalid face color [306 times]
> > cancel-timer: Invalid timerInvalid face color
> > Invalid face color [630 times].
> >
> > Does someone have any idea what happened?
>
> Does anyone have any clue about this "invalid face color" thing?

I'm not familiar with the Predictive code, but if you look in the
code for "cancel-timer" you might be able to figure out what the
problem is.

Too bad that the "Invalid face color" message does not print out
what the invalid color value is.

But it sounds like your first problem might be to figure out which
timer is invalid and why.

HTH - hopefully someone with the code available will be able to help more.

You will also want to start from `emacs -Q' and load just Predictive,
to help you narrow things down.  As it stands now there is no telling
what timer is involved or what you were doing each time the code tried
to cancel that timer.

* Re: [Newbie in Emacs] Predictive-mode invalid face color issue.
@ 2013-07-22 17:11     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-07-22 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Maikol Solís

> Too bad that the "Invalid face color" message does not print out
> what the invalid color value is.

May be the OP can use `debug-on-message' to figure out the call
sequence.

,----
| debug-on-message
|   Variable: If non-nil, debug if a message matching this regexp is
|             displayed.
`----

* Re: [Newbie in Emacs] Predictive-mode invalid face color issue.
@ 2013-07-22 17:17       ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-07-22 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Maikol Solís

>> Too bad that the "Invalid face color" message does not print out
>> what the invalid color value is.
>
> May be the OP can use `debug-on-message' to figure out the call
> sequence.
>
> ,----
> | debug-on-message
> |   Variable: If non-nil, debug if a message matching this regexp is
> |             displayed.
> `----

I didn't look at the subject line.  You can do this.

        M-: (setq debug-on-message "Invalid face color")

You will get a *Backtrace* buffer stating something like

        Debugger entered--Lisp error

If you are lucky it will give you some clue.  But the problem is
happening in timer and it possible that you remain clueless as well.

ps: This works better if you remove your .elc files and load just the
.el files.

* Re: [Newbie in Emacs] Predictive-mode invalid face color issue.
@ 2013-07-23  6:07         ` Maikol Solís
From: Maikol Solís @ 2013-07-23  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> You will also want to start from `emacs -Q' and load just Predictive,
> to help you narrow things down.  As it stands now there is no telling
> what timer is involved or what you were doing each time the code tried
> to cancel that timer.

I tried this but I couldn't load predictive-mode

M-x predi TAB [No match]

>    You can do this.
>
>          M-: (setq debug-on-message "Invalid face color")

I did it and I only got this in the **Message** buffer

"Invalid face color".

In fact, If I remove all the .elc files from "~/.emacs.d/",
predictive-mode works indeed (slow as hell, but it works). But again, in
the **Message** keep appearing

"Invalid face color [3188 times]"

Thanks for your help.

--
Maikol Solís

* Re: [Newbie in Emacs] Predictive-mode invalid face color issue.
@ 2013-07-23  6:51           ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-07-23  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maikol Solís; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Maikol Solís <mikesol37@gmail.com> writes:

>> You will also want to start from `emacs -Q' and load just Predictive,
>> to help you narrow things down.  As it stands now there is no telling
>> what timer is involved or what you were doing each time the code tried
>> to cancel that timer.
>
> I tried this but I couldn't load predictive-mode
>
> M-x predi TAB [No match]

You can do

        M-x load-library RET predictive-mode.el RET

Or

       M-x load-file RET /path/to/predictive-mode.el RET

>>    You can do this.
>>
>>          M-: (setq debug-on-message "Invalid face color")
>>

> I did it and I only got this in the **Message** buffer
>
> "Invalid face color".
>
> In fact, If I remove all the .elc files from "~/.emacs.d/",
> predictive-mode works indeed (slow as hell, but it works). But again,
> in the **Message** keep appearing
>
> "Invalid face color [3188 times]"

What do you get with

        C-h v debug-on-message

It is possible that debug-on-message is not available in your version of
Emacs.

@ 2013-07-23  7:13           ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-07-23  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maikol Solís; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Predictive seems to be a "big" package.  Why don't your write to or cc
the author.  He is sure to respond.

        Author: Toby Cubitt <toby-predictive@dr-qubit.org>

My guess is that invalid face color will go away with by adding this to
your .emacs.

        (setq predictive-overlay-debug-colour "red")

That is the only color that is "uninitialized".  May be there are other
colors that are unititialized. This you can find with by running M-x
rgrep for face on all *.el files in the predictive directory.