all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* function keys in macro
@ 2013-11-23 15:10 Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-23 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I tried so many ways to include one of the function
keys in a macro, like:

(fset 'F2 (kbd "M-<f2>"))
(fset 'F2 (kbd "<M-f2>"))
(fset 'F2 [(meta f2)])
(fset 'F2 [M-f2])
;; and more...

and then (after either of the above)

(execute-kbd-macro (symbol-function 'F2))

But then I always get:

"Keyboard macro terminated by a command ringing the bell"

But it works for the non-F* keys so there has to be
something with those that breaks it.

Thanks!

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: function keys in macro
@ 2013-11-25 12:38 ` Michael Heerdegen
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2013-11-25 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I tried so many ways to include one of the function
> keys in a macro, like:
>
> (fset 'F2 (kbd "M-<f2>"))
> (fset 'F2 (kbd "<M-f2>"))
> (fset 'F2 [(meta f2)])
> (fset 'F2 [M-f2])
> ;; and more...
>
> and then (after either of the above)
>
> (execute-kbd-macro (symbol-function 'F2))

Have you bound M-f2 to any command?

Michael.

* Re: function keys in macro
@ 2013-11-25 12:44 ` Jambunathan K
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-11-25 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

M-x global-set-key (do whatever Emacs asks you to do)

M-x list-command-history

I see this:

    (global-set-key [27 f2] (quote ignore))

I am using ESC and not Alt (as seen on my keyboard).  Alt-F2 opens a
"Run Program" for me here.

> I tried so many ways to include one of the function
> keys in a macro, like:
>
> (fset 'F2 (kbd "M-<f2>"))
> (fset 'F2 (kbd "<M-f2>"))
> (fset 'F2 [(meta f2)])
> (fset 'F2 [M-f2])
> ;; and more...
>
> and then (after either of the above)
>
> (execute-kbd-macro (symbol-function 'F2))
>
> But then I always get:
>
> "Keyboard macro terminated by a command ringing the bell"
>
> But it works for the non-F* keys so there has to be
> something with those that breaks it.
>
> Thanks!

* Re: function keys in macro
@ 2013-11-25 12:50 ` Jambunathan K
       [not found] ` <mailman.7060.1385383126.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.7064.1385384049.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-11-25 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

F2 is a prefix key.

\f
Global Bindings Starting With <f2>:
key             binding
---             -------

<f2> 2		2C-two-columns
<f2> b		2C-associate-buffer
<f2> s		2C-split
<f2> <f2>	2C-two-columns

So once you press f2 whatever that follows "completes" the prefix.

> I tried so many ways to include one of the function
> keys in a macro, like:
>
> (fset 'F2 (kbd "M-<f2>"))
> (fset 'F2 (kbd "<M-f2>"))
> (fset 'F2 [(meta f2)])
> (fset 'F2 [M-f2])
> ;; and more...
>
> and then (after either of the above)
>
> (execute-kbd-macro (symbol-function 'F2))
>
> But then I always get:
>
> "Keyboard macro terminated by a command ringing the bell"
>
> But it works for the non-F* keys so there has to be
> something with those that breaks it.
>
> Thanks!

* Re: function keys in macro
       [not found] ` <mailman.7060.1385383126.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-11-25 20:34   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-25 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Have you bound M-f2 to any command?

Well, I use Emacs in a Linux VT (tty1 to be precise)
and M-F2 (or Alt-F2) will switch to tty2. In
/etc/console-setup/remap.inc, with

# J - Emacs to the left...
alt keycode 36       = Decr_Console
ctrll alt keycode 36 = Decr_Console
# L - ... Linux VTs with tmux to the right
alt keycode 38       = Incr_Console
ctrll alt keycode 38 = Incr_Console

I have bound those functions to Alt-J and Alt-K
instead, but I haven't unset those old "short"cuts
because I'd never use them for anything else.

That's why, in Emacs (in tty1), I can't hit M-F2 and
have Emacs process it, because the tty1 will intercept
it and jump to tty2.

But, I just tried Emacs in X and no: M-F2 is unbound.

So, for everything to fall into place like the blocks
of Tetris, if I put those keys in a macro, could I jump
between the ttys programmatically with Elisp?

I have tried the following shell/X tools to accomplish
the same task:

* chvt (doesn't work from Emacs, tmux, or X, but from
  an "empty" Linux VT, it works to everywhere including
  X)
* xdotool (works from everywhere, but you cannot get
  from the "VT world" to X)
* xmacroplay (works just like xdotool, which makes sense)

So the best solution I found so far, which is 99%
satisfactory, is remap from the VT world, and xdotool
from X.

In fact, I just got a new idea writing this, remap to
some unused shortcut (or even Unicode char, if those
could be put in macros), and then have a macro "type"
that... stay tuned!

--

@ 2013-11-25 20:40   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-25 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> F2 is a prefix key.

Interesting, are you saying that breaks the macro on a
definition (or even "notation") level?

By the way, how did you do that "Next/Previous Page"?
It looked like ^ L (without the whitespace) when I
replied to your post.

I'm trying it myself right now:

This is page 1.
^L
Is this page 2?

I can't say that's anything I would ever use because I
prefer scrolling, at least when setup so it scrolls one
line at a time. But, without bragging, I'm always
impressed when I see something I didn't see before :)

--

@ 2013-11-25 20:42     ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]       ` <mailman.7252.1385555936.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-25 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> By the way, how did you do that "Next/Previous Page"?
> It looked like ^ L (without the whitespace) when I
> replied to your post.
>
> I'm trying it myself right now:
>
> This is page 1.
> ^L
> Is this page 2?

No, that didn't work.

--

@ 2013-11-25 21:40     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-25 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> In fact, I just got a new idea writing this, remap to
> some unused shortcut (or even Unicode char, if those
> could be put in macros), and then have a macro "type"
> that... stay tuned!

Keyboard macros are *not* intercepted by the tty:

(fset 'Ml (kbd "M-l"))
(execute-kbd-macro (symbol-function 'Ml))

This will *not* take me to tty2 (if in tty1/Emacs), but
will instead run `downcase-word', i.e., normal Emacs
behaviour!

Amazing! That means this whole idea must be dropped!

--

@ 2013-11-26  7:35       ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2013-11-26  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Keyboard macros are *not* intercepted by the tty:
>
> (fset 'Ml (kbd "M-l"))
> (execute-kbd-macro (symbol-function 'Ml))
>
> This will *not* take me to tty2 (if in tty1/Emacs), but
> will instead run `downcase-word', i.e., normal Emacs
> behaviour!
>
> Amazing! That means this whole idea must be dropped!

Indeed.  `execute-kbd-macro' just calls commands bound to the given
keys.  It's internal to Emacs, and something different from hitting that
key on your keyboard.  It is the same only when that key event is
received by Emacs.

Regards,

Michael.

* Re: function keys in macro
@ 2013-11-27 12:38       ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]       ` <mailman.7252.1385555936.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2013-11-27 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I'm trying it myself right now:
>>
>> This is page 1.
>> ^L
>> Is this page 2?
>
> No, that didn't work.

It's the control character ^L.
\f
You know, PAGE BREAK.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: function keys in macro
       [not found]       ` <mailman.7252.1385555936.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-11-27 20:10         ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]           ` <mailman.7323.1385633250.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-27 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

>>> I'm trying it myself right now:
>>>
>>> This is page 1.
>>> ^L
>>> Is this page 2?
>>
>> No, that didn't work.
>
> It's the control character ^L.
> You know, PAGE BREAK.

*laughter* That's so cute! No, I don't know. Do you
insert it as a Unicode char? Or do you have to quote
it? Or is it the representation of a keystroke?

--

@ 2013-11-28 10:06           ` Jambunathan K
       [not found]           ` <mailman.7323.1385633250.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-11-28 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> It's the control character ^L.
>> You know, PAGE BREAK.
>
> *laughter* That's so cute! No, I don't know. Do you
> insert it as a Unicode char? Or do you have to quote
> it? Or is it the representation of a keystroke?

C-q C-l will get you ^L.

If you are editing a large text or source file you can "create pages"
and navigate using C-x [ and C-x ].

* Re: function keys in macro
       [not found]           ` <mailman.7323.1385633250.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-11-28 15:25             ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-28 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> C-q C-l will get you ^L.
>
> If you are editing a large text or source file you
> can "create pages" and navigate

I see. In mails, one has to wonder though how they turn
out in other clients? But it was a fun thing for sure.

--

@ 2014-01-14  1:47     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-01-14  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> * chvt (doesn't work from Emacs, tmux, or X, but from
> an "empty" Linux VT, it works to everywhere including
> X)

I found a way to make chvt work from everywhere
(including Emacs and tmux, in- and outside of X). The
console remap is perhaps better (safer) for keypresses
(at least there is no reason not to use it, as that's
what you do), but if you really want it as a *command*
(to be invoked from Emacs and/or shell functions) this
makes it work:

sudo chmod u+s /bin/chvt