all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* org mode checkboxes from file
@ 2014-01-22 21:24 Zebee Johnstone
From: Zebee Johnstone @ 2014-01-22 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In org mode, I want to set up checkboxes from a file.

so I ahve something like

* TODO buy this item

and I have a set of steps  that I have to go through when raising a purchase order such as

 - [ ] get quotes
 - [ ] update cost forecasts
 - [ ] request PO
 - [ ] check note and match

Pain to type all those each time...

But if I put them in a file, then do C-x i to import that file under
the todo item and add [/] to the todo item, that checkbox counter is
not updated.

I think this means the todo item does not see the imported checkboxes
as its children.

How do I convince it that they are?

Is it a matter of whitespace before the -?

Is there some toggle I can use to associate them to the TODO?

However.. if I position cursor on the TODO and hit TAB then the
checkboxes vanish meaning that they are seen as children?

If I position the cursor at the end of the TODO line then delete until
the first line of the imported file moves to that line, then hit RET,
well suddenly all is well...

Has to be a more sensible way?

Zebee

* Re: org mode checkboxes from file
@ 2014-01-22 21:39 ` Thorsten Jolitz
       [not found] ` <mailman.12592.1390427861.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-01-22 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Zebee Johnstone <zebeej@gmail.com> writes:

> In org mode, I want to set up checkboxes from a file.

This should actually go to the org-mode mailing list ...

> Is there some toggle I can use to associate them to the TODO?

did you (save and) try

,---------------------------------------------------------------------

`---------------------------------------------------------------------

?

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: org mode checkboxes from file
@ 2014-01-22 21:57 ` Bastien
       [not found] ` <mailman.12592.1390427861.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-22 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zebee Johnstone; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Zebee,

Zebee Johnstone <zebeej@gmail.com> writes:

> and I have a set of steps  that I have to go through when raising a purchase order such as
>
>  - [ ] get quotes
>  - [ ] update cost forecasts
>  - [ ] request PO
>  - [ ] check note and match

> Pain to type all those each time...

From a plain list, go back to the beginning and type C-u C-c C-c to
add checkboxes to all items at once.

> But if I put them in a file, then do C-x i to import that file under
> the todo item and add [/] to the todo item, that checkbox counter is
> not updated.

Inserting from the file will not update the counter,
updating at least one checkbox will.

> I think this means the todo item does not see the imported checkboxes
> as its children.
>
> How do I convince it that they are?
>
> Is it a matter of whitespace before the -?

Nope.

> Is there some toggle I can use to associate them to the TODO?

No need :)

> However.. if I position cursor on the TODO and hit TAB then the
> checkboxes vanish meaning that they are seen as children?

No, the list is seen as contents.  "children" is for subtrees.
A subtree can be the child of another subtree, but each subtree
contains "contents", like the list in your example.

> If I position the cursor at the end of the TODO line then delete until
> the first line of the imported file moves to that line, then hit RET,
> well suddenly all is well...

You lost me here...

> Has to be a more sensible way?

Updating a checkbox should do.

Let us know,

--
 Bastien

@ 2014-01-22 23:50   ` Zebee Johnstone
From: Zebee Johnstone @ 2014-01-22 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In gnu.emacs.help on Wed, 22 Jan 2014 22:57:17 +0100
Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> Inserting from the file will not update the counter,
> updating at least one checkbox will.

The counter on the todo line stays at [0/0]  It doesn't see the
checkboxes underneath.

>> If I position the cursor at the end of the TODO line then delete until
>> the first line of the imported file moves to that line, then hit RET,
>> well suddenly all is well...
>
> You lost me here...

Start like this:

* TODO buy things. [/]

Then position cursor on the next line.  use C-x i to import a file that
looks like this
 - [ ] first thing to do
 - [ ] second thing to do

Position cursor on [/] on todo line.  do C-c C-c.  [/] is now [0/0]

update checkbox in first line with C-c C-c

no change in TODO count.

>> Has to be a more sensible way?
>
> Updating a checkbox should do.

nope...

What has worked is to not have the check boxes in the list in the
imported file, but to do the C-u C-c C-c once it is imported.

Now to see if that works when your imported list is

 - thing to do
   - subthing 1
   - subthing 2
 - other thing to do

@ 2014-01-23  6:37     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-23  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zebee Johnstone; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ask on the org-mode mailing list.

Also say what version of Emacs and Org you are using.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien