all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#16120: grep and tramp
@ 2013-12-12 11:38 Paul Pogonyshev
From: Paul Pogonyshev @ 2013-12-12 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 16120

Grep over tramp fails to insert header in its output buffer. (I remember
reporting this bug, but I didn't notice it was about tramp then; I tried
with 'emacs -q' now).

For example, run from *scratch*, as 'M-x grep RET grep -nH -e xxx xxx RET':

    -*- mode: grep; default-directory: "~/" -*-
    Grep started at Thu Dec 12 14:33:28

    grep -nH -e xxx xxx
    grep: xxx: No such file or directory

    Grep exited abnormally with code 2 at Thu Dec 12 14:33:28

But when run from a "tramped" buffer ('/sudo:root@localhost', but
apparently true for any other case too) in the same way:

    grep: xxx: No such file or directory

    Grep exited abnormally with code 2 at Thu Dec 12 14:35:53

Version: GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.6)
of 2013-12-04 on gonzo.localdomain

Paul

* bug#16120: grep and tramp
@ 2013-12-12 14:20 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2013-12-12 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Pogonyshev; +Cc: 16120

Paul Pogonyshev <pogonyshev@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Paul.

> Grep over tramp fails to insert header in its output buffer. (I
> remember reporting this bug, but I didn't notice it was about tramp
> then; I tried with 'emacs -q' now).

I know that behaviour. The reason is, that the current implementation
would also include a prompt from the remote machine after that header;
it's not easy to suppress it. That's why Tramp hides everything before
the grep output.

I will take this bug report as encouragement to find a proper solution :-)

> Paul

Best regards, Michael.

* bug#16120: grep and tramp
@ 2014-02-08 13:39   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2014-02-08 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Pogonyshev; +Cc: 16120-done

> Paul Pogonyshev <pogonyshev@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Paul,

>> Grep over tramp fails to insert header in its output buffer. (I
>> remember reporting this bug, but I didn't notice it was about tramp
>> then; I tried with 'emacs -q' now).
>
> I know that behaviour. The reason is, that the current implementation
> would also include a prompt from the remote machine after that header;
> it's not easy to suppress it. That's why Tramp hides everything before
> the grep output.
>
> I will take this bug report as encouragement to find a proper solution :-)

I've fixed this now, changes committed to the repositories. Closing the bug.

>> Paul

Best regards, Michael.