all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to highlight matches in tab-completion?
@ 2015-02-01  1:13 jenia.ivlev
From: jenia.ivlev @ 2015-02-01  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello:

How do I highlight the matched text in the tab-completion buffer?
For exmaple, when you press C-x b and then tab, you get a list of
possible matches in a buffer. How do highlight the matched text in each
suggestion?

Thanks in advance for you time and kind help.

* RE: How to highlight matches in tab-completion?
@ 2015-02-01  2:37 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2015-02-01  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jenia.ivlev, help-gnu-emacs

> How do I highlight the matched text in the tab-completion buffer?
> For exmaple, when you press C-x b and then tab, you get a list of
> possible matches in a buffer. How do highlight the matched text in each
> suggestion?

You should see a highlight using face `completions-common-part'.
This highlights the longest prefix that matches each candidate,
separately.  It is thus not really a "common-part" match, in
spite of its name.  That is, the text highlighted for each
candidate is not necessarily the same.

You can use `M-x customize-face RET completions-common-part'
to customize the appearance of the face.

You can also customize face `completions-first-difference',
which shows the first character after the common prefix.

If you want to see something closer to highlighting of the
longest common match among all candidates, this is provided
by Icicles.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Expanded-Common-Match_Completion

* Re: How to highlight matches in tab-completion?
@ 2015-02-01  3:01   ` jenia.ivlev
From: jenia.ivlev @ 2015-02-01  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks very much. `completions-common-part` worked perfectly