all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can't send
@ 2015-02-05 17:37 Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2015-02-05 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs list

I have successfully used gnus for email for several years. But when I try emacs 25.5, I am unable to send messages:

Sending via mail...
Setting SMTP server to `smtp.gmail.com:587' for user `torys.anderson@gmail.com'. (SSL
enabled.)
530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. m15sm3205378yhm.45 - gsmtp
221 2.0.0 closing connection m15sm3205378yhm.45 - gsmtp
smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. m15sm3205378yhm.45 - gsmtp

This is a real show-stopper for me. Any suggestions?

Also, this didn't seem appropriate for the emacs-devel list, but if someone knows a more appropriate place to send such bleeding-edge support messages please don't hesitate to let me know.

* Re: Can't send
@ 2015-02-05 18:08 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-02-05 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I have successfully used gnus for email for several years. But when I try
> emacs 25.5, I am unable to send messages:

Please send us a copy of 25.5 along with the bug-report.  That will save
writing writing all the new code for it,

* Re: Can't send
@ 2015-02-05 18:16   ` Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2015-02-05 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help List, Stefan Monnier

I was about to ask for the details of how you wanted me to send 150 mb; but I suppose I mean 25.0.50 :) but if there is a formal process I'm supposed to follow for these kind of errors, let me know.

>> I have successfully used gnus for email for several years. But when I try
>> emacs 25.5, I am unable to send messages:
>
> Please send us a copy of 25.5 along with the bug-report.  That will save
> writing writing all the new code for it,
>

>         Stefan

* Re: Can't send
@ 2015-02-05 19:05     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-02-05 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tory S. Anderson; +Cc: Emacs Help List

> I was about to ask for the details of how you wanted me to send 150 mb; but
> I suppose I mean 25.0.50 :)

Damn!

> but if there is a formal process I'm supposed to
> follow for these kind of errors, let me know.

For errors from the future, we don't (yet!) have a formal process.
But for other errors, we recommend `M-x report-emacs-bug RET`.