all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Changed outside customize
@ 2015-09-06  3:13 Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2015-09-06  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I try customize-group → vc
Go to vc-handled-backends and find its "CHANGED outside customize"
Puzzled
Start emacs -Q
Its still "CHANGED outside customize"

What does this mean?

* Re: Changed outside customize
@ 2015-09-06  3:58 ` Ian Zimmerman
       [not found] ` <mailman.561.1441511935.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2015-09-06  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-09-05 20:13 -0700, Rusi wrote:

> Start emacs -Q
> Its still "CHANGED outside customize"
>
> What does this mean?

Do you have a desktop file?  Maybe you need --no-desktop as well?

@ 2015-09-06  4:14   ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2015-09-06  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday, September 6, 2015 at 9:28:57 AM UTC+5:30, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> On 2015-09-05 20:13 -0700, Rusi wrote:
>
> > Start emacs -Q
> > Its still "CHANGED outside customize"
> >
> > What does this mean?

$ emacs -Q --no-desktop

Still the same

* Re: Changed outside customize
       [not found] ` <mailman.561.1441511935.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-09-06  4:35 ` Michael Heerdegen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2015-09-06  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Stefan Monnier

Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> What does this mean?

The reason seems to be that customizing the group loads "vc-mtn", and
that `setq's `vc-handled-backends' to a different value (it removes Mtn
when no Monotone found).  So what you see does always happen unless you
have Monotone installed.

CC'ing Stefan as author of "vc-mtn".

Regards,

Michael.

* Re: Changed outside customize
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-09-06  4:37 ` Alexis
       [not found] ` <mailman.562.1441514134.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alexis @ 2015-09-06  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> I try customize-group → vc Go to vc-handled-backends and find
> its "CHANGED outside customize" Puzzled Start emacs -Q Its still
> "CHANGED outside customize"
>
> What does this mean?

It means that there's some Emacs Lisp, other than a call to
`custom-set-variables`, that's modifying the value of the
`vc-handled-backends` variable. It could be a package you've
installed, or it could be something in some Emacs config file
(e.g. `.emacs`, `init.el` etc.)

Alexis.

* Re: Changed outside customize
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-09-06  4:41 ` Alexis
       [not found] ` <mailman.562.1441514134.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alexis @ 2015-09-06  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> I try customize-group → vc Go to vc-handled-backends and find
> its "CHANGED outside customize" Puzzled Start emacs -Q Its still
> "CHANGED outside customize"

Sorry, i'd not noticed that you still get that message even under
`emacs -Q`. Given that, it might be something set up by the
maintainers of the OS you're using - for example, they might have
put some custom Emacs Lisp in the `site-lisp` directory. Which OS
/ distro are you using? Are you compiling Emacs yourself, or using
a pre-built package?

Alexis.

@ 2015-09-06  4:46   ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2015-09-06  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday, September 6, 2015 at 10:05:36 AM UTC+5:30, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Rusi  writes:
>
> > What does this mean?
>
> The reason seems to be that customizing the group loads "vc-mtn", and
> that `setq's `vc-handled-backends' to a different value (it removes Mtn
> when no Monotone found).  So what you see does always happen unless you
> have Monotone installed.
>
> CC'ing Stefan as author of "vc-mtn".
>

> Regards,
>
> Michael.

I think you are right
customize-group vc
gives this messate
customize-variable vc-handled-backends
doesnt

* Re: Changed outside customize
@ 2015-09-06  4:47   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2015-09-06  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry, i'd not noticed that you still get that message even under
> `emacs -Q`. Given that, it might be something set up by the
> maintainers of the OS you're using - for example, they might have put
> some custom Emacs Lisp in the `site-lisp` directory. Which OS / distro
> are you using? Are you compiling Emacs yourself, or using a pre-built
> package?

It's Emacs itself - see (hope that link works, if not, my message to
this thread) 877fo4go7e.fsf@web.de