Eli Zaretskii writes: >> From: Joakim Jalap >> Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 13:02:49 +0100 >> >> Perhaps this is not a bug, but it certainly surprised me. > > Of course, it's a bug. Good :) Or something... I looked into it a bit more, and it seems to me the trouble is that `universal-argument--mode' uses `set-transient-map' to set `universal-argument-map' when `C-u' is pressed. This sets `overriding-terminal-local-map', which makes quail chicken out. Below are two different patches which fix the original problem. I have no idea if this is a good way to do it, but it seems to work for me :) This way we just ignore `overriding-terminal-local-map' if it is `universal-argument-map'.