all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
Subject: Re: Starting the Emacs 27 release cycle
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 13:30:35 -0800	[thread overview]

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I'm planning on cutting the emacs-27 release branch in a week or so.
> If someone has plans for changes that must be done before that, so
> that they end up in Emacs 27.1, please make it happen till then, or
> ask here for an extension.  After the branch is cut, only bugfixes
> will be allowed on the release branch, per our usual practices (see
> CONTRIBUTE).

A few months ago I made changes to Gnus so that non-ascii group names
(which used to mostly stay encoded) were mostly decoded. But I preserved
the original odd encoding in Gnus' persistence files, so that developers
could move back and forth between Emacs versions.

For the 27.1 release I'd like to use Gnus' upgrade mechanism to switch
to properly-encoded persistence files. The mechanism includes a prompt
to the user, so they'll be aware of what happened, and it will only
affect Gnus users with non-ascii group names. But it would mean that
those users couldn't switch back to Emacs 26 without seeing encoding
weirdness.

Hope that's okay...

Eric