Eli Zaretskii writes: > Does the pseudo-code at the beginning of "Searching Keymaps" give any > ideas? It does, yes. The pseudo-code only gives us the *value* of the keymap. This is probably part of the reason why Drew wanted us to be able to find keymap *symbols* from values. I have added a separate function help-fns-find-keymap-name to get the symbol from the value based on his code. I'm not sure exactly where the new functions in the second patch should go, so I just kept them in help-fns.el. I suspect people might want to use at least help-fns-find-keymap-name outside of help-fns.el, so maybe we could find a better place to add them (and better names?). Attached is an updated patchset. The first patch is as before, updated with the above doc fix, and the second patch adds the reasonable default you asked for. WDYT? Best regards, Stefan Kangas