all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* possible bug in ERC? with /say
@ 2020-12-02 23:32 Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-12-02 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When an irssi user use the /say command, it turns up in ERC.

However when I do the same in ERC, it shows up using irssi, but
not with ERC (my, i.e. the same ERC, don't know if someone
else's ERC shows it - probably?)

E.g., it can look like this:

 <irssiurs> /this message starts with a slash

   <ercurs> nope, did the same thing with /say, didn't see it
            but I see it with irssi

Sounds like a bug, right?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: possible bug in ERC? with /say
@ 2020-12-03  3:29 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-12-03  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> When an irssi user use the /say command, it turns up in ERC.
>
> However when I do the same in ERC, it shows up using irssi, but
> not with ERC (my, i.e. the same ERC, don't know if someone
> else's ERC shows it - probably?)
>
> E.g., it can look like this:
>
>  <irssiurs> /this message starts with a slash
>
>    <ercurs> nope, did the same thing with /say, didn't see it
>             but I see it with irssi
>
> Sounds like a bug, right?

I have reported this as a bug, let's see what happens.

--

@ 2020-12-03  8:11   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-12-03  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> When an irssi user use the /say command, it turns up in ERC.
>>
>> However when I do the same in ERC, it shows up using irssi, but
>> not with ERC (my, i.e. the same ERC, don't know if someone
>> else's ERC shows it - probably?)
>>
>> E.g., it can look like this:
>>
>>  <irssiurs> /this message starts with a slash
>>
>>    <ercurs> nope, did the same thing with /say, didn't see it
>>             but I see it with irssi
>>
>> Sounds like a bug, right?
>
> I have reported this as a bug, let's see what happens.

Hm, reported this bug

  Thu, 03 Dec 2020 04:28:04 +0100 (4 hours, 41 minutes ago)

but still didn't show up in gmane.emacs.bugs - other traffic did,
tho, several posts. Is this normal? The bug goes thru
a verification process (anti-spam) or something?

Maybe reports are slow, ordinary replies are fast?

--

@ 2020-12-03  8:56     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-12-03  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Hm, reported this bug
>
>   Thu, 03 Dec 2020 04:28:04 +0100 (4 hours, 41 minutes ago)
>
> but still didn't show up in gmane.emacs.bugs - other traffic did,
> tho, several posts. Is this normal? The bug goes thru
> a verification process (anti-spam) or something?
>
> Maybe reports are slow, ordinary replies are fast?

Yes, there's a manual anti-spam process in place, so it can be somewhat
random what sequence messages appear.

* Re: possible bug in ERC? with /say
@ 2020-12-03  9:11       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-12-03  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

>> Hm, reported this bug
>>
>>   Thu, 03 Dec 2020 04:28:04 +0100 (4 hours, 41 minutes ago)
>>
>> but still didn't show up in gmane.emacs.bugs - other traffic
>> did, tho, several posts. Is this normal? The bug goes thru
>> a verification process (anti-spam) or something?
>>
>> Maybe reports are slow, ordinary replies are fast?
>
> Yes, there's a manual anti-spam process in place, so it can
> be somewhat random what sequence messages appear.

Thanks man, it is about ERC which I know you care about, so
check it out :)

Absolutely no rush, everything always in time...

--

@ 2020-12-12  1:57       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-12-12  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Yes, there's a manual anti-spam process in place, so it can
> be somewhat random what sequence messages appear.

Oh, you have TONS of bugs??? :O

Poor you guys, but cred for the work you put in anyway...

Still didn't get a mail, it used to be fast?

Or is it that no one cares for ERC?

If so, I have it on now! in a buffer. even with the latest in
technology, SSL

--

@ 2020-12-28  2:39   ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2020-12-28  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs, Emanuel Berg

Hello Emanuel,

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor writes:

>> When an irssi user use the /say command, it turns up in ERC.
>>
>> However when I do the same in ERC, it shows up using irssi, but
>> not with ERC (my, i.e. the same ERC, don't know if someone
>> else's ERC shows it - probably?)
>>
>> E.g., it can look like this:
>>
>>  <irssiurs> /this message starts with a slash
>>
>>    <ercurs> nope, did the same thing with /say, didn't see it
>>             but I see it with irssi
>>
>> Sounds like a bug, right?
>
> I have reported this as a bug, let's see what happens.

This is indeed a bug, and I have a patch for it.  I looked through the
recent Emacs bugs on Debbugs as well as the list archives for emacs-erc,
but didn't see this report there.  Can you please point me to your bug
report so I could reference it in the commit message of the fix?

Thanks.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: possible bug in ERC? with /say
@ 2020-12-28  3:41     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-12-28  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Amin Bandali wrote:

>> I have reported this as a bug, let's see what happens.
>
> This is indeed a bug, and I have a patch for it. I looked
> through the recent Emacs bugs on Debbugs as well as the list
> archives for emacs-erc, but didn't see this report there.
> Can you please point me to your bug report so I could
> reference it in the commit message of the fix?

I also looked for it and even asked on gmane.emacs.help, I was
then told people look thru bugs manually so people won't abuse
it to send spam, I took this explanation to mean it'd
eventually turn up at its right place. So no, I didn't see
it either.

--

@ 2020-12-28  3:52       ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2020-12-28  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor writes:

> Amin Bandali wrote:
>
>>> I have reported this as a bug, let's see what happens.
>>
>> This is indeed a bug, and I have a patch for it. I looked
>> through the recent Emacs bugs on Debbugs as well as the list
>> archives for emacs-erc, but didn't see this report there.
>> Can you please point me to your bug report so I could
>> reference it in the commit message of the fix?
>
> I also looked for it and even asked on gmane.emacs.help, I was
> then told people look thru bugs manually so people won't abuse
> it to send spam, I took this explanation to mean it'd
> eventually turn up at its right place. So no, I didn't see
> it either.

I see.  Did you send it to bug-gnu-emacs,
e.g. using M-x report-emacs-bug RET?
If yes, and if it's already been a day or two,
it might be worth trying to resend and see if
it makes it to debbugs this time around.

If your bug report still does not make it to debbugs,
I'll just reference this thread in the commit message.

Thanks.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: possible bug in ERC? with /say
@ 2020-12-28  3:58         ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-12-28  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Amin Bandali wrote:

> I see. Did you send it to bug-gnu-emacs, e.g. using M-x
> report-emacs-bug RET?

Yes, of course.

> If yes, and if it's already been a day or two, it might be
> worth trying to resend and see if it makes it to debbugs
> this time around.

Feels like a 1-2 weeks rather? Don't know for sure tho.

> If your bug report still does not make it to debbugs, I'll
> just reference this thread in the commit message.

Weell, /say doesn't echo what you yourself say, but everyone
else can see it. That's the bug and bug report all in one,
what I can see...

--

@ 2020-12-28  4:07           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-12-28  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Feels like a 1-2 weeks rather? Don't know for sure tho.

Found it,

Subject:28.0.50; ERC doesn't echo /say
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 04:28:04 +0100 (3 weeks, 4 days ago)

--

@ 2020-12-28  4:22             ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2020-12-28  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor writes:

>> Feels like a 1-2 weeks rather? Don't know for sure tho.
>
> Found it,
>
> Subject:28.0.50; ERC doesn't echo /say
> Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 04:28:04 +0100 (3 weeks, 4 days ago)

That's definitely not normal.  Please try sending it again, ideally with
a new Message-ID (so, not a literal resend) and via email rather than
gmane, and if it does not appear on Debbugs by tomorrow then I'll just
refer to this thread in the patch instead.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: possible bug in ERC? with /say
@ 2020-12-28 21:51               ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2020-12-28 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw