all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* About SASL authentication in rcirc
@ 2021-06-28 10:36 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2021-06-28 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Alex McGrath, Philip Kaludercic

Hi Alex,

thanks for bringing SASL authentication to rcirc.  I'm using the
rcirc-update branch of Philip for my IRC needs where Philip has
cherry-picked your commit implementing SASL authentication for rcirc.
So obviously I wanted to try that out and changed my

(setq rcirc-authinfo
      `(("libera" nickserv "tsdh" ,th/nickserv-password-liberachat)))

(setq rcirc-authinfo
      `(("libera" sasl "tsdh" ,th/nickserv-password-liberachat)))

and restarted my rcirc session after rebuilding emacs.

After that, the *irc.libera.chat* buffer contained a message that tsdh
is a registered nick but not the message afterwards that I'm
successfully registered now (as it is the case with nickserv
authentication).  And when querying NickServ, it told me that I'm not
logged it.

If I understand SASL/IRC correctly, it should have logged in immediately
on connecting, right?

So apparently, it seems that it didn't work when I've tried.  I'd be
happy to debug where it fails if you give me some pointers what to look
for.

Bye,
Tassilo