Note that in the other frame (displaying *Messages*), the mode-line-inactive face has inherited the underline from line-visited. (If I select that window, then the mode-line face has not, that is just in the current buffer.) So remapping a face that has inherited faces leads to side effects in other places... Anyway, what I was thinking of is a really simple solution: Have `face-remap-add-relative' loop over all children and remap them, too. (I haven't actually attempted to write something like that, though. 😀) -- (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.) bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no