all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: master e4e1e268c8e 2/2: Set a default locale on Android
@ 2023-12-07 18:11 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-12-07 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

> branch: master
> commit e4e1e268c8e9f7de6fe5d4b05beb595a1781c02c
> Author: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Commit: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
>
>     Set a default locale on Android
>
>     * doc/emacs/android.texi (Android Environment): Revise for
>     change.
>
>     * src/android.c (initEmacs): Set LANG to either en_US.utf8 or C,
>     subject to whether the system is newer than Android
>     5.0 (inclusive).

Is this the best we can do on Android?  AFAIU, the issue here is that
the locales available on Android are different from those recognized
by the C library.  But cannot we solve this by implementing a mapping
from Android locales to libc locales?  If not, why not?

I think arbitrarily using en_US.utf8 could surprise users and worse,
could produce effects that break UX.  For example, LANG defines the
default spell-checking dictionary, so the above basically forces users
of non-English locales to manually change the dictionary each time,
or customize their Emacs to do that, something they don't have to do
on other platforms.

We solved a similar problem on MS-Windows, so why cannot we solve it
on Android?