all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M-x tex-print eliminates colors
@ 2007-02-15  1:29 Joe Fineman
From: Joe Fineman @ 2007-02-15  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am running Emacs 21.3.1 and LaTeX 2e under Windows XP (for dummies
%^).  When I run the .tex file

\documentclass[10pt]{article}
\usepackage{newcent}
\usepackage[dvips]{graphics,lscape,color}
\usepackage{newcent}
\pagestyle{empty}
\setlength{\oddsidemargin}{0in}
\setlength{\topmargin}{0in}
\setlength{\textheight}{9.5in}
\setlength{\textwidth}{7in}
\begin{document}
\setlength{\baselineskip}{.1667in}
\noindent
black \textcolor{red}{red} \textcolor{green}{green}
\textcolor{blue}{blue} black
\end{document}

from the Emacs shell and look at the resulting .dvi file with Yap, the
appropriate colors appear.  When I print it from the Yap window on my
hp all-in-one, the colors appear in the printout.

When I run it using M-x tex-buffer, the colors likewise appear in the
.dvi file as viewed in Yap.  However, when I follow that up with M-x
tex-print, the resulting printout is black & white, except that the
green word appears gray.  Also, the line appears about 18 mm higher on
the page.

tex-dvi-print-command's value is
"dvips -f * | gsprint - "

Here is the relevant stretch of the *tex-shell* buffer:
C:\usr\own\f\tex>latex "\nonstopmode\input" _TZ_3224-OEMCOMPUTER.tex
latex "\nonstopmode\input" _TZ_3224-OEMCOMPUTER.tex
This is e-TeX, Version 3.141592-2.2 (MiKTeX 2.4)
entering extended mode
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
Babel <v3.8a> and hyphenation patterns for english, french, german, ngerman, du
mylang, nohyphenation, loaded.

(_TZ_3224-OEMCOMPUTER.tex (C:\texmf\tex\latex\base\article.cls
Document Class: article 2004/02/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
(C:\texmf\tex\latex\base\size10.clo)) (C:\texmf\tex\latex\psnfss\newcent.sty)
(C:\texmf\tex\latex\graphics\graphics.sty (C:\texmf\tex\latex\graphics\trig.sty
) (C:\texmf\tex\latex\00miktex\graphics.cfg)
(C:\texmf\tex\latex\graphics\dvips.def))
(C:\texmf\tex\latex\graphics\lscape.sty) (C:\texmf\tex\latex\graphics\color.sty
(C:\texmf\tex\latex\00miktex\color.cfg)
(C:\texmf\tex\latex\graphics\dvipsnam.def))
No file _TZ_3224-OEMCOMPUTER.aux.
(C:\texmf\tex\latex\psnfss\ot1pnc.fd) [1] (_TZ_3224-OEMCOMPUTER.aux) )
Output written on _TZ_3224-OEMCOMPUTER.dvi (1 page, 412 bytes).
Transcript written on _TZ_3224-OEMCOMPUTER.log.

C:\usr\own\f\tex>dvips -f c:/usr/own/f/tex/_TZ_3224-OEMCOMPUTER.dvi | gsprint - &
dvips -f c:/usr/own/f/tex/_TZ_3224-OEMCOMPUTER.dvi | gsprint - &
This is dvips(k) 5.94b Copyright 2004 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2007.02.14:1056' ->
<tex.pro><8r.enc>AFPL Ghostscript 8.14 (2004-02-20)
Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
<texps.pro><special.pro><color.pro>. [1] Loading CenturySchL-Roma font from C:\gs\fonts/c059013l.pfb... 2273176 855818 1617480 329009 1 done.

Copyright (C) 2003, Ghostgum Software Pty Ltd.  All Rights Reserved.
2003-09-03 gsprint 1.6
Page 1, PRINT

Is there a remedy for this behavior?  Thank you for your attention.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  The doctorate, which once meant you could start teaching,  :||
||:  now means you can stop learning.                           :||

* Re: M-x tex-print eliminates colors
@ 2007-02-15  9:57 ` Peter Dyballa
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-02-15  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Joe Fineman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.02.2007 um 01:29 schrieb Joe Fineman:

> Also, the line appears about 18 mm higher on the page.

Obviously different paper formats: letter vs. ISO A4, or such.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

* Re: M-x tex-print eliminates colors
@ 2007-02-16 19:34 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.4629.1171654458.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-02-16 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Joe Fineman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.02.2007 um 01:29 schrieb Joe Fineman:

> from the Emacs shell and look at the resulting .dvi file with Yap, the
> appropriate colors appear.  When I print it from the Yap window on my
> hp all-in-one, the colors appear in the printout.
>
> When I run it using M-x tex-buffer, the colors likewise appear in the
> .dvi file as viewed in Yap.  However, when I follow that up with M-x
> tex-print, the resulting printout is black & white, except that the
> green word appears gray.

TeX-print can be defined as some system default print command for the
file type DVI, or something else. Yap can have its own idea on how to
convert DVI to whatever your *particular* printer accepts as input.
Differences are natural.

> tex-dvi-print-command's value is
> "dvips -f * | gsprint - "

Here dvips just acts as a filter. It has no idea of what your printer
might be or accept. It's safe to filter colour to levels of grey.

--
Greetings

   Pete       (:
         _    / __    -    -
       _/ \__/_/        -     -
      (´`)      (´`)   -    -
       `´        `´

@ 2007-02-17  1:59   ` Joe Fineman
From: Joe Fineman @ 2007-02-17  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 15.02.2007 um 01:29 schrieb Joe Fineman:
>
>> from the Emacs shell and look at the resulting .dvi file with Yap,
>> the appropriate colors appear.  When I print it from the Yap window
>> on my hp all-in-one, the colors appear in the printout.
>>
>> When I run it using M-x tex-buffer, the colors likewise appear in
>> the .dvi file as viewed in Yap.  However, when I follow that up
>> with M-x tex-print, the resulting printout is black & white, except
>> that the green word appears gray.
>
> TeX-print can be defined as some system default print command for
> the file type DVI, or something else. Yap can have its own idea on
> how to convert DVI to whatever your *particular* printer accepts as
> input.  Differences are natural.
>>
>> tex-dvi-print-command's value is
>> "dvips -f * | gsprint - "
>
> Here dvips just acts as a filter. It has no idea of what your
> printer might be or accept. It's safe to filter colour to levels of
> grey.

Thank you for your efforts, but I am not in your league.  Does this
mean I should look up the syntax of dvips & figure out something to
substitute for those mysterious-looking arguments?  At the moment,
Google seems to be down.

In the meantime, I have noticed in _A Guide to Latex_ that "the color
package...recognizes the options: ...dvipsnames...usenames...".  So I
tried

\usepackage[dvips]{graphics,lscape,color,dvipsnames}

but Latex merely complained that it couldn't find dvipsnames.sty.
There is no such file anywhere on my system.  Same with usenames.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  He knew what's what, and that's as high  :||
||:  As metaphysic wit can fly.               :||

* Re: M-x tex-print eliminates colors
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.4629.1171654458.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-02-20  2:21 ` Joe Fineman
From: Joe Fineman @ 2007-02-20  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joe Fineman <joe_f@verizon.net> writes:

> I am running Emacs 21.3.1 and LaTeX 2e under Windows XP (for dummies
> %^).  When I run the .tex file

> \documentclass[10pt]{article}
> \usepackage{newcent}
> \usepackage[dvips]{graphics,lscape,color}
> \usepackage{newcent}
> \pagestyle{empty}
> \setlength{\oddsidemargin}{0in}
> \setlength{\topmargin}{0in}
> \setlength{\textheight}{9.5in}
> \setlength{\textwidth}{7in}
> \begin{document}
> \setlength{\baselineskip}{.1667in}
> \noindent
> black \textcolor{red}{red} \textcolor{green}{green}
> \textcolor{blue}{blue} black
> \end{document}
>
> from the Emacs shell and look at the resulting .dvi file with Yap, the
> appropriate colors appear.  When I print it from the Yap window on my
> hp all-in-one, the colors appear in the printout.
>
> When I run it using M-x tex-buffer, the colors likewise appear in the
> .dvi file as viewed in Yap.  However, when I follow that up with M-x
> tex-print, the resulting printout is black & white, except that the
> green word appears gray.  Also, the line appears about 18 mm higher on
> the page.
>
> tex-dvi-print-command's value is
> "dvips -f * | gsprint - "

FWIW, I have happened on the answer.  The problem is not in TeX, but
deep down in gsprint, which needs to be told to accept colors:

"dvips -f * | gsprint -color - "

So much for that.  But colors in .jpg & .eps files still do not make
it thru \includegraphics.  So I may be back.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  The regnant bitch permits no comment on her:    :||
||:  Once it was Sex, then Death, and now Dishonor.  :||