all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Multi-file commits with pcvs from dired?
@ 2002-12-03 12:22 Tim Haynes
From: Tim Haynes @ 2002-12-03 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Howdo,

If I'm looking at a dired buffer on a directory and have played with
several files in it to make some changes, how do I get `C-x v v' to commit
all those changed files with one log message?

Currently I've tried marking a few files with `m' in dired, but still no
joy: I'm always getting an error, "Buffer <directoryname> is not associated
with a file".

I've also had a gander at the wiki,
<http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CategoryVersionControl>, but
nothing has jumped up & bit me yet.

Anyone have any ideas? :)

Ta,

~Tim
--
   12:18:34 up 3 days, 23:21,  7 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.11, 0.09
piglet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk |Newton and Adam, lost and found,

* Re: Multi-file commits with pcvs from dired?
@ 2002-12-03 17:44 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-03 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Haynes <usenet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk> writes:

> If I'm looking at a dired buffer on a directory and have played with
> several files in it to make some changes, how do I get `C-x v v' to commit
> all those changed files with one log message?

For version control, I recommend vc-dired instead of dired.  Type C-x
v d.

> Currently I've tried marking a few files with `m' in dired, but still no
> joy: I'm always getting an error, "Buffer <directoryname> is not associated
> with a file".

Then, it should be sufficient to say `v v', after marking the files.

But why don't you use PCL-CVS?  You mention it in the subject line of
your posting.  Type M-x cvs-update RET /path/to/working/directory
RET.  The command `C' will commit the file/directory under point,
even recursively, so it is sufficient to hit `C' on the top-level
directory in the *cvs* buffer.  It also snarfs ChangeLog entries for
use as commit messages (unlike `c' which doesn't do that).

* Re: Multi-file commits with pcvs from dired?
@ 2002-12-03 21:07   ` Tim Haynes
From: Tim Haynes @ 2002-12-03 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Tim Haynes <usenet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk> writes:
>
>> If I'm looking at a dired buffer on a directory and have played with
>> several files in it to make some changes, how do I get `C-x v v' to
>> commit all those changed files with one log message?
>
> For version control, I recommend vc-dired instead of dired. Type C-x v d.

Aha! OK, I begin to see where I was going wrong. Thanks heaps :8)

~Tim
--
   21:06:22 up 4 days,  8:09,  7 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.26, 0.32
piglet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk |River of millions flow downstream