all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* shell not allocating tty on OS X
@ 2004-05-30 22:39 Replace 'spam' with 'gnu' to send me email
From: Replace 'spam' with 'gnu' to send me email @ 2004-05-30 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using the Carbon build of Emacs from
http://mindlube.com/download/files/emacs-osx-10-25-03.dmg, and I'm having
a bunch of problems with the shell.  I think that all of them can be
traced to the fact that unlike other builds of emacs I've used, this one
doesn't allocate a tty to the shell.

I'm suprised that I'm the only person running into this problem, but I've
searched about everywhere I could think of and haven't turned up any
suggestions.

Can anybody tell me how I can get emacs to allocate a tty for the shell?
I'm comfortable modifying sources if necessary.

Thanks.

Andrew

--
Please include this line when replying.

* Re: shell not allocating tty on OS X
@ 2004-06-02 13:38 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-06-02 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Replace 'spam' with 'gnu' to send me email <andrew_certain_spam@thecertains.com> writes:

> I'm using the Carbon build of Emacs from
> http://mindlube.com/download/files/emacs-osx-10-25-03.dmg, and I'm having
> a bunch of problems with the shell.  I think that all of them can be
> traced to the fact that unlike other builds of emacs I've used, this one
> doesn't allocate a tty to the shell.

On MacOS, process-connection-type defaults to nil for some reason or
other.  I think if you set it to t, then this behavior will change.
But since there was a reason for setting process-connection-type to
nil, expect breakage elsewhere if you do this.

Kai