Andreas Eder writes: > On Fr 09 Apr 2021 at 11:32, Leo Butler wrote: > >> I use `emacs -nw` inside of screen inside of uxterm. Unfortunately, many >> unicode glyphs are not displayed correctly (although they are if I >> attach the screen session in gnome-terminal, for example). >> >> In emacs/elisp, how might I override the default empty box to display >> something more informative? > > The problem is - most likely - a font that is not unicode capable. > If you set uxterm to ise the same font as gnome-terminal then it should > work. > The same combination (uxterm, screen and emacs) works perfectly well > here. Thanks for the suggestion. I have attached a marked-up screen shot of an xterm (left) and gnome-terminal running `emacsclient -nw` and showing the same buffer. You can see there is a noticeable clipping of some of the characters in the xterm. According to lsof, gnome-terminal is using /usr/share/fonts/truetype/dejavu/DejaVuSansMono.ttf so the xterm has been run using xterm -fa 'DejaVuSansMono' -fs 9 (and all font-related options are commented out in ~/.Xdefaults). FWIW, this is on a debian testing system with XTERM_LOCALE=en_US.UTF-8. Leo