all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Please don't edit NEWS on the emacs-30 branch
@ 2024-06-30 18:08 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-06-30 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Everybody,

Please don't edit NEWS form now until I say it's okay to edit it
again.  The reason is that I'm going through the file and making
changes, both in wording and in the order of the items, and update the
manuals as I go, so any changes in NEWS by others will get in the way.

I apologize for not announcing this before explicitly.  There were
messages in which Stefan Kangas said that he and myself are working on
this file, and I thought it was enough.  I was wrong.

* Re: Please don't edit NEWS on the emacs-30 branch
@ 2024-06-30 19:36 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-06-30 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2024 21:08:56 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> Everybody,
>
> Please don't edit NEWS form now until I say it's okay to edit it
> again.

OK, I'm now done with that job.  You can now once again install
changes in NEWS on the emacs-30 branch.  However, if you think
anything there needs changes that are not typo fixes and factual
errors, please post here and let's discuss this first, before
installing any more significant changes, like rearranging the entries
etc.

IOW, from the maintainers' POV the NEWS file is in its final shape
(modulo simple mistakes), including its structure and the order of the
entries there, and shouldn't be modified in any significant way
without talking to us (Stefan Kangas, Andrea Corallo and myself)
first.

TIA

* Re: Please don't edit NEWS on the emacs-30 branch
@ 2024-07-01 16:27   ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2024-07-01 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> However, if you think anything there needs changes that are not typo
> fixes and factual errors, please post here and let's discuss this
> first, before installing any more significant changes, like
> rearranging the entries etc.

It looks like "** Internationalization" was intended to be a parent outline?
Then following outline headings:

** Mode-line mnemonics for some coding-systems have changed.
** 'vietnamese-tcvn' is now a coding system alias for 'vietnamese-vscii'.

should be demoted to the next level:

@ 2024-07-01 17:34     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-07-01 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2024 19:27:21 +0300
>
> > However, if you think anything there needs changes that are not typo
> > fixes and factual errors, please post here and let's discuss this
> > first, before installing any more significant changes, like
> > rearranging the entries etc.
>
> It looks like "** Internationalization" was intended to be a parent outline?
> Then following outline headings:
>
> ** Mode-line mnemonics for some coding-systems have changed.
> ** 'vietnamese-tcvn' is now a coding system alias for 'vietnamese-vscii'.
>
> should be demoted to the next level:
>
> *** Mode-line mnemonics for some coding-systems have changed.
> *** 'vietnamese-tcvn' is now a coding system alias for 'vietnamese-vscii'.

Thanks, fixed.