all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Reply with gnus
@ 2008-12-08 18:35 Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2008-12-08 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I know this is a silly question in a newsgroup, but can anybody tell me
the right way to ryply to articles with gnus?

I tried r, f and S n. With r, the reply was an ordinary mail. With f and
S n, I could see and read my reply in the newsgroup, but it looked
different from the replies from other people in the summary buffer.

Thanks!

* Re: Reply with gnus
@ 2008-12-08 18:51 ` Charles Sebold
From: Charles Sebold @ 2008-12-08 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 8 Dec 2008, Michael Heerdegen wrote:

> I know this is a silly question in a newsgroup, but can anybody tell
> me the right way to ryply to articles with gnus?
>
> I tried r, f and S n. With r, the reply was an ordinary mail. With f
> and S n, I could see and read my reply in the newsgroup, but it looked
> different from the replies from other people in the summary buffer.

I usually reply with F (shift f, that is):

,----[ C-h f gnus-summary-followup-with-original RET ]
| gnus-summary-followup-with-original is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-msg.el'.
| (gnus-summary-followup-with-original N &optional FORCE-NEWS)
|
| Compose a followup to an article and include the original article.
| The text in the region will be yanked.  If the region isn't
| active, the entire article will be yanked.
|
| [back]
`----

Can you be more specific about how it looks different?
--
Charles Sebold                                     8th of December, 2008
 GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) | Gnus v5.11 | org-mode 6.14

* Re: Reply with gnus
@ 2008-12-09 16:46   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2008-12-09 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Charles Sebold <csebold@gmail.com> writes:

>> I tried r, f and S n. With r, the reply was an ordinary mail. With f
>> and S n, I could see and read my reply in the newsgroup, but it looked
>> different from the replies from other people in the summary buffer.
>
> I usually reply with F (shift f, that is):

There are a few other little tricks you might not already know.
When you use (shift) F as advised by Charles you get the intire post
quoted in the reply.  Sometimes thats what you want but somtimes you
only want some of it.

You can hilight text in a message that you want to quote in your reply
then when you press F only that text is quoted.

If you press F and get the whole post quoted you can pare it down by
setting your region around what you want quoted then pressing:
  Cntrl-c Cntrl-v