all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mark-* misbehaviour on primary selection
@ 2014-08-24 17:32 Mat
From: Mat @ 2014-08-24 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hallo people.

Text marked between C-space and pointer goes to primary selection, which
is OK and wonderful.
The same between current pointer and M-x mark-end-of-sentence. Which is OK.

Unfortunatelly all other mark-* (for example mark-word) functions do not
send text to primary selection.

Is it a bug?

regards,
Mat

* Re: mark-* misbehaviour on primary selection
@ 2014-08-25  0:48 ` Quanyang Liu
From: Quanyang Liu @ 2014-08-25  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Aug 25 2014 at 01:32:36 +0800, Mat wrote:
> Hallo people.
>
> Text marked between C-space and pointer goes to primary selection,
> which is OK and wonderful.
> The same between current pointer and M-x mark-end-of-sentence. Which is OK.
>
> Unfortunatelly all other mark-* (for example mark-word) functions do
> not send text to primary selection.
>
> Is it a bug?

Can you give us more details? It works fine for me.

--
Quanyang Liu (刘全阳)
Undergraduate

* Re: mark-* misbehaviour on primary selection
@ 2014-08-25  8:25 Mat
From: Mat @ 2014-08-25  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

 > Can you give us more details? It works fine for me.

1) in emacs, I press C-space, then go with the pointer somewhere
     then in bash terminal, outside of emacs, command "xclip -o" returns
text marked. This is OK.

2) in emacs: M-x mark-end-of-sentence. "xclip -o" again returns text
marked. OK.

3) in emacs: M-x mark-word. "xclip -o" does NOT return text marked. Not OK.

What is even stranger: in emacs: M-x mark-word, then additionally moving
the pointer with arrow keys in either direction. "xclip -o" returns text
marked. This time OK!!!

`mark-word' is not the only mark-* comand that behaves this way.

I observe it both on emacs 24.3 (built from original sources without any
debian/ubuntu modifications) and emacs 24.4.50.1 built from yesterday's
bzr trunk. Ubuntu 12.04.

@ 2014-08-25  8:55 ` Quanyang Liu
From: Quanyang Liu @ 2014-08-25  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Aug 25 2014 at 16:25:07 +0800, Mat wrote:
>> Can you give us more details? It works fine for me.
> 3) in emacs: M-x mark-word. "xclip -o" does NOT return text marked. Not OK.
>
> What is even stranger: in emacs: M-x mark-word, then additionally
> moving the pointer with arrow keys in either direction. "xclip -o"
> returns text marked. This time OK!!!
>
> `mark-word' is not the only mark-* comand that behaves this way.
>
> I observe it both on emacs 24.3 (built from original sources without
> any debian/ubuntu modifications) and emacs 24.4.50.1 built from
> yesterday's bzr trunk. Ubuntu 12.04.

Does this still occur when run emacs with '-Q' option? Maybe there is
something wrong in your config file.