Paul Eggert writes: > Wolfgang Jenkner wrote: >> So, perhaps, the FreeBSD 9 default base cc (a patched gcc 4.2.1) has >> some stack-related optimization bug, even on amd64? > Thanks for the detective work. It inspired me to search GCC bug reports, where I > found a couple that appear to be directly relevant. The corresponding bug was > fixed in 2008 but GCC 4.2.1 predates the fix. I installed the attached patch > into the emacs-25 branch, and I hope it works around the compiler bug with > stack-allocated Lisp objects on FreeBSD 9. Please give it a try. Thanks for taking a look at the problem, but unfortunately it persists. A new log is attached. While the ancient version of gcc is the default compiler in FreeBSD 9.3, clang is in the base system. I tested using the base clang in 9.3 and the compiling finished without the error. I'll submit a patch for the FreeBSD port to use clang.