Joseph Mingrone writes: > Eli Zaretskii writes: >> More generally, someone who has access to FreeBSD and understands its >> ACL implementation should look into that, because it sounds like we >> have fundamental problems there with moving files from temp directory, >> and those problems are just waiting to bite us in random places, like >> this one. > After a big of digging, I discovered the immediate problem and it does > not have anything to do with FreeBSD's ACL implementations [1]. > FreeBSD's package building tool, poudriere has an option to use tmpfs > for some of the file systems including the working directories, however > I do not believe tmpfs supports ACLs. When I turn this option off, so > that tmpfs is not used, the build finishes successfully without any > patching. > Should ACL support be required to _build_ Emacs, even if that build will > itself support ACLs? > [1] UFS has both POSIX and NFSv4 ACLs, while ZFS only supports NFSv4 ACLs. > https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/fs-acl.html > https://wiki.freebsd.org/NFSv4_ACLs > https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=setfacl There is another option to have the builder do everything mounted as a tmpfs, so neither /tmp nor the working directory supports ACLs. In this case, the build also finishes successfully. To summarize, the problem only seems to occur when /tmp supports ACLs, but $WRKDIR (location where the tarball is extracted and the build occurs) does not.