all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* System-wide default settings for Emacs on Ubuntu
@ 2007-12-29  0:12 Bruza
From: Bruza @ 2007-12-29  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: benkial

How can I change the system default settings (e.g. default fonts,
default geometric...) for all the accounts in Ubuntu? I am running
Ubuntu 7.1 and the Emacs version is:

    GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.0) of
2007-11-06 on terranova, modified by Ubuntu

Thanks,

Bruza

* Re: System-wide default settings for Emacs on Ubuntu
@ 2007-12-29 10:01 ` Eli Zaretskii
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-12-29 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Bruza <benruza@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 16:12:39 -0800 (PST)
> Cc: benkial@gmail.com
>
> How can I change the system default settings (e.g. default fonts,
> default geometric...) for all the accounts in Ubuntu?

That's what site-start.el file is for.

* Re: System-wide default settings for Emacs on Ubuntu
@ 2008-01-01 20:39 ` Dmitri Minaev
       [not found] ` <mailman.5489.1198922479.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.5596.1199220009.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dmitri Minaev @ 2008-01-01 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruza; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, benkial

X resources would, probably, be a better place to customize many
appearance settings.

On Dec 29, 2007 4:12 AM, Bruza <benruza@gmail.com> wrote:
> How can I change the system default settings (e.g. default fonts,
> default geometric...) for all the accounts in Ubuntu? I am running
> Ubuntu 7.1 and the Emacs version is:
>
>     GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.0) of
> 2007-11-06 on terranova, modified by Ubuntu
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bruza

With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev

Russian history blog: http://minaev.blogspot.com

@ 2008-01-03  9:18   ` Bruza
From: Bruza @ 2008-01-03  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 29 2007, 2:01 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: Bruza <benr...@gmail.com>
> > Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 16:12:39 -0800 (PST)
> > Cc: benk...@gmail.com
>
> > How can I change the system default settings (e.g. default fonts,
> > default geometric...) for all the accounts in Ubuntu?
>
> That's what site-start.el file is for.

Eli,

Just got back from my new year vacation. I put my system wide settings
in /etc/emacs/site-start.el, and it works fine. Thanks for the help.

@ 2008-01-03  9:20   ` Bruza
From: Bruza @ 2008-01-03  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 1, 12:39 pm, "Dmitri Minaev" <min...@gmail.com> wrote:
> X resources would, probably, be a better place to customize many
> appearance settings.
>
> On Dec 29, 2007 4:12 AM, Bruza <benr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > How can I change the system default settings (e.g. default fonts,
> > default geometric...) for all the accounts in Ubuntu? I am running
> > Ubuntu 7.1 and the Emacs version is:
>
> >     GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.0) of
> > 2007-11-06 on terranova, modified by Ubuntu
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Bruza
>
> --
> With best regards,
> Dmitri Minaev
>
> Russian history blog:http://minaev.blogspot.com

Dmitri,

Can you elaborate where is the appropriate X resource files on Ubuntu?

@ 2008-01-03 15:11     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-01-03 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 01:20:09 -0800 (PST) Bruza <benruza@gmail.com> wrote:

B> Can you elaborate where is the appropriate X resource files on Ubuntu?

/etc/X11/Xresources is used by default; it's a directory that
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/30x11-common_xresources inspects and loads each file
from it with xrdb.  So /etc/X11/Xresources/Emacs could contain Emacs
settings (but the name could be anything, it will get loaded
regardless).

I found this out with "locate Xresources", "grep -ir resources /etc/X11",
and then looking at the scripts mentioned above.

Ted

* Re: System-wide default settings for Emacs on Ubuntu
@ 2008-01-03 16:07     ` Dmitri Minaev
From: Dmitri Minaev @ 2008-01-03 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruza; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 3, 2008 1:20 PM, Bruza <benruza@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 1, 12:39 pm, "Dmitri Minaev" <min...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > X resources would, probably, be a better place to customize many
> > appearance settings.
>
> Dmitri,
>
> Can you elaborate where is the appropriate X resource files on Ubuntu?

As Ted has said, the site-wide resource files are usually located in
/etc/X11/Xresources, but you can put the file to any other place and
load the settings with xrdb(1) at any time you like, for example, when
your window manager is starting up.

The list of X resources used by GNU Emacs is in the manual:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/X-Resources.html

Some examples are here: http://snarfed.org/space/emacs%20X%20resources