all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus configuration to connect IMAP server?
@ 2016-08-11 15:24 Rolf Ade
From: Rolf Ade @ 2016-08-11 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm using emacs 24.5.1 on linux.

Up to now I used gnus just for an nntp feed and, as
gnus-secondary-select-methods, gmane.

I'm trying to add an IMAP account as another
gnus-secondary-select-methods.

The IMAP server is working; I'm able to access the IMAP account with
thunderbird.

I've tried all kind of configurations, starting from simple up to
spelling out all kind of parameters, but no fun. E.g.

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nntp "news.gmane.org")
                                      (nnimap "umkehrbar"
                                              (nnimap-stream starttls)
                                              (nnimap-address "xxx.de")
                                              (nnimap-user "yyy@xxx.de")
                                              (nnimap-inbox "INBOX"))))

The *Messages* buffer tells me things like

"Opening nnimap server on umkehrbar...failed: BAD Invalid characters in atom"

that doesn't help much.

I'm able to talk to the IMAP server on the cmd line:

rolf@linux-qg7d:~> gnutls-cli -s -p imap xxx.de
Processed 149 CA certificate(s).
Resolving 'xxx.de'...
Connecting to 'ddd.ddd.ddd.ddd:143'...
|<1>| Note that the security level of the Diffie-Hellman key exchange has been lowered to 512 bits and this may allow decryption of the session data

- Simple Client Mode:

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5] Dovecot ready.
a1 LOGIN yyy@xxx.de zzz
a1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND URL-PARTIAL CATENATE UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS BINARY MOVE QUOTA] Logged in
a2 LIST "" "*"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "." INBOX
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." INBOX.Spam
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." INBOX.Trash
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." INBOX.Sent
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." INBOX.Drafts
a2 OK List completed (0.000 secs).
a3 EXAMINE INBOX
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft NonJunk)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ()] Read-only mailbox.
* 4 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1470408319] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 5] Predicted next UID
* OK [HIGHESTMODSEQ 12] Highest
a3 OK [READ-ONLY] Examine completed (0.000 secs).
a4 LOGOUT
* BYE Logging out
a4 OK Logout completed.
- Peer has closed the GnuTLS connection

What can I do to debug the problem?

Thanks
rolf

* Re: Gnus configuration to connect IMAP server?
@ 2016-08-11 22:57 ` Rolf Ade
From: Rolf Ade @ 2016-08-11 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I wrote:
> I'm using emacs 24.5.1 on linux.
>
> I'm trying to add an IMAP account as another
> gnus-secondary-select-methods.
>
> The IMAP server is working; I'm able to access the IMAP account with
> thunderbird.
>
> I've tried all kind of configurations [...]
>
> The *Messages* buffer tells me things like
>
> "Opening nnimap server on umkehrbar...failed: BAD Invalid characters in atom"
>
> that doesn't help much.
>
> I'm able to talk to the IMAP server on the cmd line:
>
> [Complete example session deleted]
>
> What can I do to debug the problem?

Well, in the meantime, I'm able to use that IMAP account also with
wanderlust, although I haven't used that so far. The needed
configuration for that follows below, for IMAP and SMTP.

One special thing was, that I needed

(setq starttls-extra-arguments '("--insecure"))

because it is true, what the wanderlust error message in *Messages*
said: the host name of the certificate doesn't match.

If that certificate problem is the reason, why gnus doesn't work for me,
for this account - what would be the magic, that I could it make work
with gnus?

That's the wanderlust .wl, use:

;; IMAP
(setq elmo-imap4-default-server "xxx.de"
      elmo-imap4-default-user "yyy@xxx.de"
      elmo-imap4-default-stream-type 'starttls)

;; SMTP
(setq wl-smtp-connection-type 'starttls
      wl-smtp-posting-user "yyy@xxx.de"
      wl-smtp-authenticate-type "cram-md5"
      wl-smtp-posting-server "xxx.de")

(setq wl-from "Mir <yyy@xxx.de>"
      wl-default-folder "%INBOX."
      wl-draft-folder   "%INBOX.Drafts"
      wl-trash-folder   "%INBOX.Trash"
      wl-fcc            "%INBOX.Sent")

* Re: Gnus configuration to connect IMAP server?
@ 2016-08-12  0:43 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-08-12  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rolf Ade wrote:

> Up to now I used gnus just for an nntp feed
> and, as gnus-secondary-select-methods, gmane.

What do you mean "just"?

:)

> I'm trying to add an IMAP account as another
> gnus-secondary-select-methods.

In the Gnus manual there are 121 occurences of
"IMAP". This seems like a good start:

    6.3.1 Connecting to an IMAP Server
    ----------------------------------

    Connecting to an IMAP can be very easy.
    Type ‘B’ in the group buffer, or (if your
    primary interest is reading email), say
    something like:

        (setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "imap.gmail.com"))

    You’ll be prompted for a user name and
    password. If you grow tired of that, then add
    the following to your ‘~/.authinfo’ file:

        machine imap.gmail.com login <username> password <password> port imap

    That should basically be it for most users.

                   - so far: 64 Blogomatic articles -

* Re: Gnus configuration to connect IMAP server?
@ 2016-08-12  1:46 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-08-12  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rolf Ade <rolf@pointsman.de> writes:

> I'm using emacs 24.5.1 on linux.
>
> Up to now I used gnus just for an nntp feed and, as
> gnus-secondary-select-methods, gmane.
>
> I'm trying to add an IMAP account as another
> gnus-secondary-select-methods.
>
> The IMAP server is working; I'm able to access the IMAP account with
> thunderbird.
>
> I've tried all kind of configurations, starting from simple up to
> spelling out all kind of parameters, but no fun. E.g.
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nntp "news.gmane.org")
>                                       (nnimap "umkehrbar"
>                                               (nnimap-stream starttls)
>                                               (nnimap-address "xxx.de")
>                                               (nnimap-user "yyy@xxx.de")
>                                               (nnimap-inbox "INBOX"))))
>
> The *Messages* buffer tells me things like
>
> "Opening nnimap server on umkehrbar...failed: BAD Invalid characters in atom"
>
> that doesn't help much.

The internet indicates that dovecot is receiving characters it doesn't
like, probably in the password. My guess is that there is a quote
character of some sort in your password, and Gnus isn't doing the right
thing in encoding/escaping it.

Would you edebug the `nnimap-login' function and try to step through it?
What is the value of nnimap-authenticator? Which branch of that function
actually executes the login?

Mind you, I don't actually know how any of this works, but I'll bet
that's where the problem lies.

Eric

* Re: Gnus configuration to connect IMAP server?
@ 2016-08-12 13:14   ` Rolf Ade
From: Rolf Ade @ 2016-08-12 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Rolf Ade wrote:
>> I'm trying to add an IMAP account as another
>> gnus-secondary-select-methods.
>
> In the Gnus manual there are 121 occurences of
> "IMAP". This seems like a good start:
> [...]

I read all the relevant parts of the manual and tried a lot (too much to
list that here) without success.

Therefor I asked for approaches to debug the case. I already tried a
non-nil nnimap-record-commands, but nothing in the "*imap log*" buffer,
nor the messages in the "*Messages*" buffer nor the output in the
related hidden " *server ..." buffer did help me.

Later, I learnd, that at least wanderlust (for which I was able to come
up with a working configuration for that IMAP account) complained about
that the certificate of the server doesn't match the server name (which
is correct) and I needed special configuration to make wanderlust to
ignore that.

So I followed up with the more specific question, if that certificate
problem may be the reason, why gnus refused to work with that account,
what I can do to verify this and, if possible, what to do to make it
work anyway.

* Re: Gnus configuration to connect IMAP server?
@ 2016-08-12 14:08     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-08-12 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rolf Ade wrote:

> So I followed up with the more specific
> question, if that certificate problem may be
> the reason, why gnus refused to work with
> that account, what I can do to verify this
> and, if possible, what to do to make it
> work anyway.

Interesting! Ask on gmane.emacs.gnus.general as
well if you didn't already.

Look here for documentation:

 $ cid certificate

     12   emacs     /usr/share/info/emacs-24/message.info
      3   emacs     /usr/share/info/emacs-24/emacs-gnutls.info
      2   emacs     /usr/share/info/emacs-24/emacs-mime.info
      2   emacs     /usr/share/info/emacs-24/elisp.info
      1   emacs     /usr/share/info/emacs-24/smtpmail.info
      1   emacs     /usr/share/info/emacs-24/gnus.info

If nothing helps, there is only one thing to do:

Use the source, Luke!

@ 2016-08-12 15:54     ` Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희)
From: Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희) @ 2016-08-12 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Rolf Ade; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Rolf Ade <rolf@pointsman.de> 께서 쓰시길,
 《記事 全文 <87tweq165g.fsf@linux-qg7d.fritz.box> 에서》:

> Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> writes:
>> Rolf Ade wrote:
>>> I'm trying to add an IMAP account as another
>>> gnus-secondary-select-methods.
>>
>> In the Gnus manual there are 121 occurences of
>> "IMAP". This seems like a good start:
>> [...]
>
> I read all the relevant parts of the manual and tried a lot (too much to
> list that here) without success.
>
> Therefor I asked for approaches to debug the case. I already tried a
> non-nil nnimap-record-commands, but nothing in the "*imap log*" buffer,
> nor the messages in the "*Messages*" buffer nor the output in the
> related hidden " *server ..." buffer did help me.
>
> Later, I learnd, that at least wanderlust (for which I was able to come
> up with a working configuration for that IMAP account) complained about
> that the certificate of the server doesn't match the server name (which
> is correct) and I needed special configuration to make wanderlust to
> ignore that.
>
> So I followed up with the more specific question, if that certificate
> problem may be the reason, why gnus refused to work with that account,
> what I can do to verify this and, if possible, what to do to make it
> work anyway.

Or you should upgrade Gnus version.
In my case, i did success as follow versions:

   [1] the latest emacs snapshot
   [2] Ma Gnus (with Emacs 23.3)

Question? Talk to Gnus dev team or Lars, maybe ..

Sincerely,

--
^고맙습니다 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: Gnus configuration to connect IMAP server?
@ 2016-08-12 22:40       ` Rolf Ade
From: Rolf Ade @ 2016-08-12 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Rolf Ade wrote:
>
>> So I followed up with the more specific
>> question, if that certificate problem may be
>> the reason, why gnus refused to work with
>> that account, what I can do to verify this
>> and, if possible, what to do to make it
>> work anyway.
>
> Interesting! Ask on gmane.emacs.gnus.general as
> well if you didn't already.
>
> Look here for documentation:
>
>  $ cid certificate
> [...]
>       3   emacs     /usr/share/info/emacs-24/emacs-gnutls.info
> [...]

Thanks. That, with the help of

(setq gnutls-log-level 1)

brought light on more details, but not into the right place. I've
gnutls-verify-error nil, and M-: (gnutls-available-p) returns t.

> If nothing helps, there is only one thing to do:
>
> Use the source, Luke!

Put my noise even into that. Though postponed that after diging around
for a while back to the more last resport things and decided, that I
need more guidance, to tackle the problem with success. I'll probably
ask on gmane.emacs.general.

* Re: Gnus configuration to connect IMAP server?
@ 2016-08-12 23:33         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-08-12 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rolf Ade wrote:

> I'll probably ask on gmane.emacs.general.

Does not compute - you mean
gmane.emacs.gnus.general, perhaps?

@ 2016-08-12 23:55         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-08-12 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rolf Ade wrote:

> Thanks. That, with the help of
>
> (setq gnutls-log-level 1)
>
> brought light on more details, but not into the
> right place. I've gnutls-verify-error nil, and
> M-: (gnutls-available-p) returns t.

Aha, TLS!

I also have issues with the gnutls - every day,
actually. I thought it was an upgrade fix away
but I've upgraded it since the problem appeared
and it remains, so now I don't know.

Here are the problems I have:

    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnus-english/2016-05/msg00002.html

Perhaps they are related to what you have.

It stalls on `gnus-group-get-new-news', I could
have mentioned, whenever the TLS
non-termination issue is in effect.

Good luck!

                   - so far: 64 Blogomatic articles -