all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* eglot picks up builtin jsonrpc, but requires newer version
@ 2024-09-16 11:01 Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2024-09-16 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-emacs-help

Hi all,

For some time now, whenever I open a Python file, I get the following warning:

⛔ Warning (emacs): ‘:events-buffer-scrollback-size’ deprecated. Use ‘events-buffer-config’.

From what I can tell, this is ultimately caused by Eglot not finding the
ELPA version of jsonrpc (1.0.25), instead using the built-in version of
jsonrpc (1.0.16).

The ELPA version is installed, but apparently it's not being used.

Is there a way to make sure that Eglot / Emacs loads the newer ELPA version
of jsonrpc? I haven't been able to find anything..

TIA

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: eglot picks up builtin jsonrpc, but requires newer version
@ 2024-09-17 12:04 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-09-17 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From what I can tell, this is ultimately caused by Eglot not finding the
> ELPA version of jsonrpc (1.0.25), instead using the built-in version of
> jsonrpc (1.0.16).

Two possibilities:

- The newer jsonrpc is not in your `load-path` (i.e. the package is not
  "activated").

- The newer jsonrpc is in your `load-path` but it gets added to it "too
  late", i.e. after something else required `jsonrpc`.

Normally, all `package.el`-installed packages get activated just before

* Re: eglot picks up builtin jsonrpc, but requires newer version
@ 2024-09-17 15:57   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2024-09-17 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
  Cc: Stefan Monnier

On Tue, Sep 17 2024, Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
>> From what I can tell, this is ultimately caused by Eglot not finding the
>> ELPA version of jsonrpc (1.0.25), instead using the built-in version of
>> jsonrpc (1.0.16).
>
> Two possibilities:
>
> - The newer jsonrpc is not in your `load-path` (i.e. the package is not
>   "activated").
>
> - The newer jsonrpc is in your `load-path` but it gets added to it "too
>   late", i.e. after something else required `jsonrpc`.

Actually, it was the third option: me misdiagnosing the problem... Eglot
was using the newer jsonrpc, but it was the built-in Eglot, so it was
expecting the built-in jsonrpc. Installing a newer Eglot version from GNU
ELPA fixed the problem.

And of course I'm hoping this won't cause any issues... This is a problem
I've been running into several times now: install some package, which
installs as a dependency a newer version of a built-in package, which in
turn causes compatibility issues for other built-in packages... Turns out
it is dape that requires the newer jsonrpc, but I've also had this happen
with packages that require some newer version of transient that causes
`emoji-insert` to suddenly barf some incomprehensible error message at
me...

Not sure what can be done about this, though. Perhaps it would be a good
idea to add something to the coding conventions for Emacs packages? If you
depend on a specific Emacs version (dape depends on Emacs 29.1), don't
depend on newer versions of packages that are built-in? Not sure how to
phrase this but you get what I mean...

--

@ 2024-09-17 18:22     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2024-09-17 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> Actually, it was the third option: me misdiagnosing the problem... Eglot
> was using the newer jsonrpc, but it was the built-in Eglot, so it was
> expecting the built-in jsonrpc.

Please report this as a bug.  As an ELPA package, `jsonrpc` needs to be
careful to preserve compatibility with older Emacsen.

* Re: eglot picks up builtin jsonrpc, but requires newer version
@ 2024-09-17 20:52       ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2024-09-17 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier
  Cc: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

On Tue, Sep 17 2024, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Actually, it was the third option: me misdiagnosing the problem... Eglot
>> was using the newer jsonrpc, but it was the built-in Eglot, so it was
>> expecting the built-in jsonrpc.
>
> Please report this as a bug.  As an ELPA package, `jsonrpc` needs to be
> careful to preserve compatibility with older Emacsen.

In all fairness, the newer jsonrpc is still compatible with the built-in
eglot (AFAICT the relevant functionality still works), it's just that it
issues this warning every time an Eglot-controlled file is opened. For me
as a mere user of Eglot, that warning is meaningless, because I cannot do
anything about it. It's telling me not to use
`:events-buffer-scrollback-size`, but I'm not the one using it in my code.

OTOH I'm sure João put some thought into this and he may not have seen a
better way to handle it.

If you still think it warrants a bug report, I'll file one, though.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments