all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#9819: 24.0.50; Docstring of `define-minor-mode' and KEYMAP
@ 2011-10-20 22:57 Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-10-20 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9819

I read in the docstring of `define-minor-mode':

<quote>
Optional KEYMAP is the default keymap bound to the mode keymap.
  If non-nil, it should be a variable name (whose value is a keymap),
  or an expression that returns either a keymap or a list of
  arguments for `easy-mmode-define-keymap'.  If KEYMAP is not a symbol,
  this also defines the variable MODE-map.

  [...]

:keymap MAP	Same as the KEYMAP argument.
</quote>

The way I interpret that is: if I don't pass a KEYMAP argument, it will
define a variable named `MODE-map'.  However, this doesn't happen when I
use this code:

<quote>
(define-minor-mode helo-track-minor-mode
  "Global minor mode for tracking activity in helo buffers."
  :init-value nil
  :lighter ""
  :global t
  :group 'helo
  [...]
</quote>

Am I misunderstanding the docstring or is this a bug?

Deniz

* bug#9819: 24.0.50; Docstring of `define-minor-mode' and KEYMAP
@ 2011-10-21  7:13 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-10-21  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: 9819

Deniz Dogan wrote:

>      If KEYMAP is not a symbol, this also defines the variable MODE-map.
[...]
> The way I interpret that is: if I don't pass a KEYMAP argument, it will
> define a variable named `MODE-map'.

nil is a symbol. :(
If you pass a keymap argument that is not a symbol, eg:

:keymap '(("\C-a" . foo-command)

then a `foo-mode-map' variable will be defined and given that map as its
value.

* bug#9819: 24.0.50; Docstring of `define-minor-mode' and KEYMAP
@ 2011-10-21 13:58   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-10-21 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Glenn Morris', 'Deniz Dogan'; +Cc: 9819

> >      If KEYMAP is not a symbol, this also defines the
> >      variable MODE-map.
>
> nil is a symbol. :(
> If you pass a keymap argument that is not a symbol, eg:
> :keymap '(("\C-a" . foo-command)
> then a `foo-mode-map' variable will be defined and given that
> map as its value.

It might be clearer to say just what you said, i.e., something like "If you pass
a non-symbol KEYMAP argument..." or even more explicitly, "If KEYMAP is a cons
that is a keymap..."

* bug#9819: 24.0.50; Docstring of `define-minor-mode' and KEYMAP
@ 2011-10-24 17:37   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-10-24 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9819-done

Version: 24.0.91