all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* OSX breakage for Emacs.app shortly after 10/17
@ 2013-10-29 22:04 Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2013-10-29 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The 10/17 build on OSX works just fine for me.
Shortly after that, (and still in the current head), evaluating
"open -a emacs ." (to open the current directory in a native window in a
dired) results in:

  command-line-1: Unknown option `-psn_0_1728934'

and the dired window fails to open. I'm not sure if the number changes
depending on the directory.

Anyone remember making changes that might affect command-line-1 like
that?

I tried some logs near lisp/startup.el but nothing stood out.

Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
Still trying to think of something clever for the fourth line of this .sig

* Re: OSX breakage for Emacs.app shortly after 10/17
@ 2013-10-29 22:39 ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2013-10-29 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Randal> The 10/17 build on OSX works just fine for me.
Randal> Shortly after that, (and still in the current head), evaluating
Randal> "open -a emacs ." (to open the current directory in a native window in a
Randal> dired) results in:

Randal>   command-line-1: Unknown option `-psn_0_1728934'

Randal> and the dired window fails to open. I'm not sure if the number changes
Randal> depending on the directory.

Randal> Anyone remember making changes that might affect command-line-1 like
Randal> that?

Randal> I tried some logs near lisp/startup.el but nothing stood out.

Aha! There *is* a recent change in src/emacs.c applying to the
NS_IMPL_COCOA port.  Perhaps this is the culprit:

   if (!noninteractive)
     {
 #ifdef NS_IMPL_COCOA
-      if (skip_args < argc)
+      /* Started from GUI? */
+      /* FIXME: Do the right thing if getenv returns NULL, or if
+         chdir fails.  */
+      if (! inhibit_window_system && ! isatty (0))
+        chdir (getenv ("HOME"));
+      else if (skip_args < argc)
         {
-         /* FIXME: Do the right thing if getenv returns NULL, or if
-            chdir fails.  */
           if (!strncmp (argv[skip_args], "-psn", 4))
             {
               skip_args += 1;

@ 2013-10-31  0:17   ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2013-10-31  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Randal> Aha! There *is* a recent change in src/emacs.c applying to the
Randal> NS_IMPL_COCOA port.  Perhaps this is the culprit:

Randal>    if (!noninteractive)
Randal>      {
Randal>  #ifdef NS_IMPL_COCOA
Randal> -      if (skip_args < argc)
Randal> +      /* Started from GUI? */
Randal> +      /* FIXME: Do the right thing if getenv returns NULL, or if
Randal> +         chdir fails.  */
Randal> +      if (! inhibit_window_system && ! isatty (0))
Randal> +        chdir (getenv ("HOME"));
Randal> +      else if (skip_args < argc)
Randal>          {
Randal> -         /* FIXME: Do the right thing if getenv returns NULL, or if
Randal> -            chdir fails.  */
Randal>            if (!strncmp (argv[skip_args], "-psn", 4))
Randal>              {
Randal>                skip_args += 1;

I'm convinced that "else if" should just be an "if".  It needs to run
the lower code block even if the upper code block runs, or else the -psn
args are not processed.  Any people smarter about Cocoa concur?

@ 2013-10-31  8:33     ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2013-10-31  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randal L. Schwartz; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org devel

Hello.

31 okt 2013 kl. 01:17 skrev Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn@stonehenge.com>:

> Randal> Aha! There *is* a recent change in src/emacs.c applying to the
> Randal> NS_IMPL_COCOA port.  Perhaps this is the culprit:
>
> Randal>    if (!noninteractive)
> Randal>      {
> Randal>  #ifdef NS_IMPL_COCOA
> Randal> -      if (skip_args < argc)
> Randal> +      /* Started from GUI? */
> Randal> +      /* FIXME: Do the right thing if getenv returns NULL, or if
> Randal> +         chdir fails.  */
> Randal> +      if (! inhibit_window_system && ! isatty (0))
> Randal> +        chdir (getenv ("HOME"));
> Randal> +      else if (skip_args < argc)
> Randal>          {
> Randal> -         /* FIXME: Do the right thing if getenv returns NULL, or if
> Randal> -            chdir fails.  */
> Randal>            if (!strncmp (argv[skip_args], "-psn", 4))
> Randal>              {
> Randal>                skip_args += 1;
>
> I'm convinced that "else if" should just be an "if".  It needs to run
> the lower code block even if the upper code block runs, or else the -psn
> args are not processed.  Any people smarter about Cocoa concur?

I don't know about smarter, but I was just doing that.  It took a while, Mavericks has upgraded svn to 1.7, which breaks bzr info, as it needs svn-lib from 1.6.  Mavericks does not pass -psn anymore BTW.

Fix checked in into trunk.

	Jan D.

* Re: OSX breakage for Emacs.app shortly after 10/17
@ 2013-11-01 19:35       ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2013-11-01 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Jan> I don't know about smarter, but I was just doing that.  It took a while,
Jan> Mavericks has upgraded svn to 1.7, which breaks bzr info, as it needs svn-lib
Jan> from 1.6.  Mavericks does not pass -psn anymore BTW.

Jan> Fix checked in into trunk.

Thanks... fixed it for me!