all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* harmful code and rumor? ELPA etc. you figure it out :)
@ 2019-12-26 16:07 Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2019-12-26 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: emacs-devel

here is the UNEDITED backlog where incal asked
about... just read it, no comments, no
introduction, no excuses. incal = me, but you
knew that ;)

<incal> is the rumor true that destructive
        self-modiying (spelling...?) that
        harmful code was distributed on
        purpose, thru ELPA with Stephan knowing
        it, to eliminate a political opponent
        operating from an unknown platform?
<bandali> what kind of conspiracy theory
          is that?
<bandali> any proof?
<incal> Eli said on gmane.emacs.devel it wasn't
        a good idea to do it
<bandali> to do what?
<incal> yes I'm getting to that
<incal> Stephans code was so clever
<incal> what it destructed was itself!
<incal> so he didn't even have to remove it
        from ELPA!
<bandali> you mean Stefan?
<incal> sorry yes
<incal> Monnier?
<fsbot> I think monnier is at
        http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/monnier
<incal> right right
<incal> so after that it was commonly accepted
<incal> that while you take orders from Eli
<incal> you listen to Stefan
<bandali> can you get to the point please?
<bandali> and point to the code?
<incal> I mean, in a normal setting, Emacs does
        not operate like
        a military organization!
<incal> you are not reading, the code was
        self-modyfiing so the target was
        changed, the political opponent was
        actually a friend of Stefan's, relaxing
        minding his matters!
<incal> so when the code was in mid space,
        outside of ELPA
<incal> it turned to itself and was destructed!
<incal> NOTHING LEFT!
<incal> a normally skilled programmer would
        just remove it anyway
<incal> i.e. run the command
<incal> but Stefan knew it was gone!
<bpalmer> incal: you seem to be posting 5
          messages to every 1 from somebody
          else. Make a complete thought; write
          it; and then stop.
<incal> bpalmer: this works out for you?
<bpalmer> incal: this is your last warning
          before I mute you again.
<VG234> Deciding on the best way to configure
        emacs is like being Tim Allen on home
        improvements. You always want "More
        Power..."
<bandali> okay let's all take a moment to
          calm/cool down please
<bpalmer> VG234: at least you can keep backups
          of your configuration.
<incal> I am the MAN! you know that's true.
        show me your projects :D
<bandali> incal, i hadn't ever heard anything
          like that. maybe you should stefan
          directly or perhaps on help-gnu-emacs
<incal> bandali: you are right!
<bandali> should *ask stefan
<VG234> bpalmer: True. Or use git.
<incal> I use the backlog as a mail
<incal> just post it on gmane.emacs.help
<deego> incal: i didn't know that. can you
        point me to that self-modifying code?
<incal> deego: OK now I already told the story,
        and posted so many links and photos,
        what do you do? buhu buhu incal isn't
        the man
<incal> OK you are right I should me more clear
        in my thinking and not let every
        thought about code be the programmers
        view of thinking whatever was the
        thought to begin with
<incal> wait! now I digress from the harmful
        code story
<incal> I remember one last thing
<incal> on gmane.emacs.gnus.general
<ldlework> come on
<ldlework> why are we pretending this isn't
           a bot
<incal> Lars Ingebrigtsen said the harmful code
        was actually creative!
<incal> he urged Stefan to keep it in ELPA
<ldlework> i mean, the effect of a gpt-2 based
           bot is much stronger if you get
           a couple people replying  to it with
           a straight face, and i admit that's
           pretty funny
<incal> but it considered too dangerous
<incal> yeah, that's all I know
<incal> so ANYWAY, back to my question, sorry
        about irritability :D
<incal> can you confirm this story? any of you?
* ldlework questions his own sanity.
<deego> ldlework: heh, yeah, gpt-2 is amazing
<bandali> incal, when was all of
          this? recently?
<hodapp> I need to play with GPT-2 a bit
<ldlework> I recommend playing with AI Dungeon
<ldlework> It's trained on tons of Choose Your
           Own Adventure material, and you kind
           of cooperatively tell a story
           with it.
<incal> bandali: good question, there wher
        maybe time data in the TCP
        communication, or if it used the other
        one... UDP?
<ldlework> Sometimes the way in which it seems
           to understand the nuance of what
           I just said, and how it creatively
           replies, is extremely unnerving.
<incal> but all of that is gone!
<incal> the data
<incal> just binary digits on a computer memory
<incal> bitstrings
<bandali> okay, we get it
<ldlework> bandali: you're evil :)
<incal> right thanks for letting me tell the
        story, no one seems to be able to
        confirm it
<bandali> incal, my question was, e.g. can you
          point me to any of these posts on the
          newsgroups you mention that talk
          about it?
<bandali> surely the newsgroup posts didn't
          self-destruct?
<bandali> ldlework, ?
<incal> bandali: good point, I can assure you
        none of this happened without extensive
        discussion covering all points of the
        operation. just the transformation of
        the documents supporting everything was
        done after discussing every detail.
        I wasn't there but 100% I assure you
<incal> it happened!
<bandali> okay, idk, let's move on from this
          topic
<incal> right
<ldlework> incal, what day of the week is it?
<incal> wait
<incal>      2019-12-26       16:50       Thu
        Dec    W52         up
<incal> up = Internet is up
<ldlework> incal, what day of the week is it?
<bandali> ldlework, stop
<incal> yeah look at the data! Thursday!
<ldlework> hmm, ok
<incal> sorry irritability PTSD
<incal> this whole thing with the escape
<incal> from the mental institution
<incal> maybe wasn't a good idea?
<incal> especially with Emacs being in
        a semi-military state
<incal> maybe I do more harm than good?
<bandali> incal, can you please try to condense
          your messages more, and e.g.
          write complete sentences in
          each message?
<bandali> rather than 10 separate messages?
          it annoys people here
<incal> oh, no! :( how many people were
        annoyed???
<fsbot> Of course not!
<incal> M-x how-many RET
        use-emacs-every-second-day RET
<incal> 1577375631
<incal> nah, its unix time

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: harmful code and rumor? ELPA etc. you figure it out :)
@ 2019-12-26 16:12 ` tomas
  2019-12-26 16:50   ` compiling a book called "The Emacs World" (was: Re: harmful code and rumor? ELPA etc. you figure it out :)) Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: tomas @ 2019-12-26 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 05:07:00PM +0100, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
> here is the UNEDITED backlog where incal asked
> about... just read it, no comments, no
> introduction, no excuses. incal = me, but you
> knew that ;)
>
> <incal> is the rumor true that destructive
[...]

Sorry. TL;DR.

-- t

* compiling a book called "The Emacs World" (was: Re: harmful code and rumor? ELPA etc. you figure it out :))
@ 2019-12-26 16:50   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2019-12-26 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tomas wrote:

>> here is the UNEDITED backlog where incal
>> asked about... just read it, no comments, no
>> introduction, no excuses. incal = me, but
>> you knew that ;)
>>
>> <incal> is the rumor true that destructive
> [...]
>
> Sorry. TL;DR.

tomas once told incal was not behaving
correctly with language. tomas was right, incal
shouldn't have said that :( it happened, and
incal couldn't tell the guy he had learned from
it and would never do it again :(

anyway let's be positive :) :) :) yeah, á ó ø :D
cheers Berlin you old something-something

There is more backlog about the book project...
oh, no! must I post it. well, this is my
system...

Here is the book idea, I already told you
about it, let's do it, the fun and easy way!
Emacs coffee table book, let me do it buhubu.
You know it would be great! So many people
don't like me, so they can't see the
project itself. so if you can't, read this
line: it is a great idea :)

UNEDITED backlog:

<incal> BUT! can contain information, great
        stuff. learn C++ in 1 month.
        to a skilled programmer in late 20s,
        sooo easy. but he already knows C++ ;)
<incal> but as books they have no soul
<incal> soul
<incal> wait the best computer book in terms of
        soul, I have
<incal> as an Biblatex entry
<incal> Unix???
<fsbot> Don't count on it!
<incal> @book{quarter-century-of-unix,
<incal>   author     = {Peter Salus},
<incal>   isbn       = 0201547775,
<incal>   publisher  = {Addison-Wesley},
<incal>   title      = {A Quarter Century of
        UNIX},
<incal>   year       = 1994
<incal> }
<incal> oh! great book! who is Peter Salus???
<fsbot> Signs point to yes!
<parsnip> hmm, maybe it's time to try to script
          more of my outlook experience
<parsnip> incal: no need to paste multiple line
<incal> then I had a book idea!
<incal> the book was supposed to be called "The
        Emacs World"
<incal> there should be one chapter on
        Emacs-w3m
<incal> one on Gnus
<incal> and so on
<incal> ER
<ldlework> the future is gonna be weird....
<incal> -C
<incal> everything you do with Emacs
<roliacole> bpalmer: ok and in which mode is
            the text read as in text mode ?
            even in fundamental mode it is
            interpreting the text
<incal> even one chapter, about a completely
        unknown Joe Elisp Hacker
<incal> who writes Elisp :)
<justanotheruser> bremner: thanks, I'll try out
                 tikz, it appears to do what
                 I want well. Let's see if
                 I can get tikz working with
                 babel though...
<justanotheruser> only problem is it's not
                 obvious how I can export this
                 to html
<incal> anyway that book would be so gorgeous
        in LaTeX with dumps and photos
        and everything!
<incal> chapters, let's go: Emacs, Elisp,
        Emacs-w3m, Gnus, ERC, what's more?
        programming mode, let's say: C, and
        SQL! bonus Elisp chapter (2)
<incal> editor = incal puts it together and
        does the LaTeX and Biblatex
<incal> however he does not write a pretentious
        introduction
<quiliro> Why e3w and not eww?
<incal> quiliro: both can be there!
        but Emacs-w3m from Japan is more
        exiting to me :)
<jeremy_c> (setq my-var "hello") ... '("value1"
           "value2" my-var)  ?
<incal>
        https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/w3m/w3m-my.el