all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Joseph Mingrone <jrm@ftfl.ca>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: problems with X11 forwarding inside frame
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 22:46:48 -0300	[thread overview]

wgreenhouse@riseup.net (W. Greenhouse)
writes:

> Joseph Mingrone <jrm@ftfl.ca> writes:
>> If think I have to get % ssh -f gly 'emacsclient -nc' to exchange a
>> magic cookie.  I'm guessing the answer is in the xauth man page.

> Maybe somehow it is the backgrounding behavior of ssh -f that causes the
> trouble.  I use "ssh -Xt host emacsclient -c" often, and it can run
> other X applications from its shells no problem.

I think you're right.  Unfortunately , with "ssh -X host emacsclient
-c", you have to have a terminal open for each remote emacsclient.  I
was thinking/hoping it would be possible to do something like this.  In
stumpwm, you can do C-t !, to bring up a little dialog box to run
commands.  So, running C-t ! ssh -f remote-host emacsclient -nc results
in one windows opening, the remote emacsclient frame.  Anyway, I think I'll
stop obsessing now and just accept that it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for all your input,

Joseph