all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cooperate with non-Emacs-users on CVS projects
@ 2003-10-14 21:09 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-10-14 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm lucky to be able to use Emacs even though my team-mate is using
NetBeans plus WinCVS.  He has gotten into the habit of invoking
checkin (however that works in WinCVS, I don't have the foggiest)
without typing anything at all, AFAICT.  (There seems to be some
NetBeans facility for using CVS, as well, but I don't know what he
does with that.)

Now, I like to do C-x 4 a to type useful data and then use C from
PCL-CVS.

Do people have suggestions on cooperating with others in this kind of
scenario?  In a carrot-and-stick (but more carrot than stick) kind of
fashion, I'd like to lure him in with some useful gimmick that he
might like so that he produces log entries of some kind or other.

Kai

* Re: Cooperate with non-Emacs-users on CVS projects
@ 2003-10-16 14:52 ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2003-10-16 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> writes:

> I'm lucky to be able to use Emacs even though my team-mate is using
> NetBeans plus WinCVS.  He has gotten into the habit of invoking
> checkin (however that works in WinCVS, I don't have the foggiest)
> without typing anything at all, AFAICT.  (There seems to be some
> NetBeans facility for using CVS, as well, but I don't know what he
> does with that.)
>
> Now, I like to do C-x 4 a to type useful data and then use C from
> PCL-CVS.
>
> Do people have suggestions on cooperating with others in this kind of
> scenario?  In a carrot-and-stick (but more carrot than stick) kind of
> fashion, I'd like to lure him in with some useful gimmick that he
> might like so that he produces log entries of some kind or other.

Do I understand you correctly that your team-mate is not writing log
messages when he is committing to the repository?  Isn't that just a
matter of finding out how this can be accomplished with his setup and
asking him to do it?

  Lute.

--
(spook) => "FTS2000 Telex FTS2000"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")

* Re: Cooperate with non-Emacs-users on CVS projects
@ 2003-10-16 20:34   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-10-16 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl> writes:

> Do I understand you correctly that your team-mate is not writing log
> messages when he is committing to the repository?  Isn't that just a
> matter of finding out how this can be accomplished with his setup and
> asking him to do it?

No, I need to convince him that it is a good idea.  And it needs to
be easy to do (for him).

I tried to lure him in by showing him the ChangeLog that was generated
by cvs2cl.pl, but he didn't appear to be very convinced.

In any case, others will have valuable experience to share, I'm sure.

@ 2003-10-21  7:35 ` Arjan Bos
From: Arjan Bos @ 2003-10-21  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> I'm lucky to be able to use Emacs even though my team-mate is using
> NetBeans plus WinCVS.  He has gotten into the habit of invoking
> checkin (however that works in WinCVS, I don't have the foggiest)
> without typing anything at all, AFAICT.  (There seems to be some
> NetBeans facility for using CVS, as well, but I don't know what he
> does with that.)
>
> Now, I like to do C-x 4 a to type useful data and then use C from
> PCL-CVS.
>
> Do people have suggestions on cooperating with others in this kind of
> scenario?  In a carrot-and-stick (but more carrot than stick) kind of
> fashion, I'd like to lure him in with some useful gimmick that he
> might like so that he produces log entries of some kind or other.
>
> Kai
Kai,

Your trouble might be NetBeans. If he has mounted the directory where he
does his checkout in as a cvs directory, then every now and then
Netbeans will do check-ins  of files, even if you didn't ask it to. And
ofcourse, that will lead to check-ins without a message.

(At least that's our experience) Now we use WinCVS combined with c-x v
v. The directory is mounted in Netbeans as a normal directory.

fwiw, the version of WinCVS we use pops up an annoying screen where we
can enter a log message.

HTH,
Arjan

* Re: Cooperate with non-Emacs-users on CVS projects
@ 2003-12-01 21:20   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-01 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arjan Bos <Arjan.Bos@nospam.ISeeYou.nl> writes:

> Your trouble might be NetBeans. If he has mounted the directory where
> he does his checkout in as a cvs directory, then every now and then
> Netbeans will do check-ins  of files, even if you didn't ask it
> to. And ofcourse, that will lead to check-ins without a message.

Really?  Oh.

Hm.  But anyhow, I think he doesn't type checkin messages, even if
asked.  So how to convince him that this is a good idea?

@ 2003-12-02 14:00 andrew.maguire
From: andrew.maguire @ 2003-12-02 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Hm.  But anyhow, I think he doesn't type checkin messages, even if
> asked.  So how to convince him that this is a good idea?

Ask him to give you a brief description of all the changes made to a file
because you need to know why something has stopped working from the last
release!

Also ask him the same question for a file he has not touched but has checkin
comments!

Andrew