all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Getting minor mode to read word
@ 2010-11-18 13:39 Paulo J. Matos
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2010-11-18 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I am trying to create a very simple minor mode to start with. Once the
mode is loaded I just want to transform all the strings matching a given
regexp: "B-[0-9]+" into a url which once clicked, opens the default
browser with a given url.

My problem is to start up. How do I tell emacs that there is a minor
mode that people can load and which hook can I use to enable the search
function (for the regexp) to perform the search and replace the text for
a url everytime the buffer changes?

Cheers,

--
PMatos

* Re: Getting minor mode to read word
@ 2010-11-18 13:54 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-11-18 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paulo J. Matos; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Paulo J. Matos <pocmatos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to create a very simple minor mode to start with. Once the
> mode is loaded I just want to transform all the strings matching a given
> regexp: "B-[0-9]+" into a url which once clicked, opens the default
> browser with a given url.
>
> My problem is to start up. How do I tell emacs that there is a minor
> mode that people can load and which hook can I use to enable the search
> function (for the regexp) to perform the search and replace the text for
> a url everytime the buffer changes?

Look at font lock keywords.

* Re: Getting minor mode to read word
@ 2010-11-18 14:08   ` Paulo J. Matos
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2010-11-18 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Look at font lock keywords.

Thanks for the tip. I thought that font lock was only used for
highlighting of text previously. From
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Search_002dbased-Fontification.html#Search_002dbased-Fontification

it seems that I might be able to attach a function to transform the
matched text.

@ 2010-11-18 14:11     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-11-18 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paulo J. Matos; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Paulo J. Matos <pocmatos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Look at font lock keywords.
>>

> Thanks for the tip. I thought that font lock was only used for
> highlighting of text previously. From
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Search_002dbased-Fontification.html#Search_002dbased-Fontification
>
> it seems that I might be able to attach a function to transform the
> matched text.

Forgot: There is some code for things similar to this in for example
mlinks.el in nXhtml.

* Re: Getting minor mode to read word
@ 2010-11-18 15:01       ` Paulo J. Matos
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2010-11-18 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Forgot: There is some code for things similar to this in for example
> mlinks.el in nXhtml.

Looking at it. A perfect example... thanks! :)

--
PMatos