all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* LaTeX mode (tex-mode.el) font-lock bug (?)
@ 2018-01-21 13:40 Emanuel Berg
       [not found] ` <mailman.7709.1516544111.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-01-21 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

LaTeX mode (tex-mode.el) font-lock bug (?)

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/dumps/emacs/latex-font-lock-bug.png

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: LaTeX mode (tex-mode.el) font-lock bug (?)
@ 2018-01-21 14:14 ` Marcin Borkowski
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7740.1516591280.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.7709.1516544111.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2018-01-21 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2018-01-21, at 14:40, Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:

> LaTeX mode (tex-mode.el) font-lock bug (?)
>
> http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/dumps/emacs/latex-font-lock-bug.png

1. Confirmed here.

2. Why aren't you using AUCTeX?

3. Why bitmap?  If you pasted the file in the email, it would be faster
to reproduce.

4. More precisely, stock Emacs' tex-mode seems to insist that the
argument to \textbf{...} does not contain newlines.  Looks reasonable
unless you use fill.  I'd file a bug (without much hope of fixing,
though, because AUCTeX exists, so fixing tex-mode is imho rather a waste
of time).

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski

* Re: LaTeX mode (tex-mode.el) font-lock bug (?)
       [not found]   ` <86shazxlys.fsf@zoho.com>
@ 2018-01-21 15:38     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-01-21 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> 3. Why bitmap? If you pasted the file in the
>> email, it would be faster to reproduce.
>
> I'm not using "mail" but gnu.emacs.help which
> is a newsgroup I get with Gnus from the
> Usenet server nntp.aioe.org .

Just now, I did enclose the dump as an
attachment the way I would in a mail, i.e.
`C-c C-a' or `mml-attach-file' - and it didn't
complain even sending it to gnu.emacs.help .
Did you mail guys get it?

--

@ 2018-01-22  3:20   ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]     ` <mailman.7847.1516734352.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7740.1516591280.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-01-22  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> 2. Why aren't you using AUCTeX?

Don't know about Emmanuel, but I use tex-mode.el because I much prefer
its C-c C-c and its indentation (no wonder: I wrote them).

> 4. More precisely, stock Emacs' tex-mode seems to insist that the
> argument to \textbf{...} does not contain newlines.

Indeed, handling multiline font-lock elements is always a pain in the
rear, so I haven't tried to do it yet, especially since with LaTeX
there's always a risk of mis-parsing (it's nigh on impossible to parse
it reliably without (re)implementing TeX).

@ 2018-01-22 12:52     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-01-22 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> 2. Why aren't you using AUCTeX?
>
> Don't know about Emmanuel, but I use
> tex-mode.el because I much prefer its C-c C-c
> and its indentation (no wonder: I wrote
> them).

I know, but you are not mentioned in the file!
Shall we report that as a bug as well?

;; Contributions over the years by William F. Schelter, Dick King,
;; Stephen Gildea, Michael Prange, Jacob Gore, and Edward M. Reingold.

BTW I wonder if/what those other guys are
thinking and doing now?

    "Hjärtat slår ett slag  / för var forlorad dag"
    (The heart beats a beat / for each lost day)

--

@ 2018-01-23 19:05     ` Marcin Borkowski
       [not found]     ` <mailman.7847.1516734352.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2018-01-23 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2018-01-22, at 04:20, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> 2. Why aren't you using AUCTeX?
>
> Don't know about Emmanuel, but I use tex-mode.el because I much prefer
> its C-c C-c and its indentation (no wonder: I wrote them).

Fair enough.  Still, I prefer AUCTeX (with some functions I wrote to
it;-)).

>> 4. More precisely, stock Emacs' tex-mode seems to insist that the
>> argument to \textbf{...} does not contain newlines.
>
> Indeed, handling multiline font-lock elements is always a pain in the
> rear, so I haven't tried to do it yet, especially since with LaTeX
> there's always a risk of mis-parsing (it's nigh on impossible to parse
> it reliably without (re)implementing TeX).

That's true...  IOW, the un-fontlocking of multiline elements is by
design.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski

@ 2018-01-23 19:18       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-01-23 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> IOW, the un-fontlocking of multiline elements
> is by design.

12 lines are in bold, 5 lines are the default
font, all in the same textbf multiline block.
This proportion is sometimes different so it
would be interesting to learn what exactly was
in the designer's cocktail that night.