all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Emacs gnus (tls) IMAP connection problems with Google
@ 2019-01-27  2:55 Van L
From: Van L @ 2019-01-27  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> But if I enter it again immediately, it opens successfully.

It's possible the first attempt fell in a black hole on the 'net.
The second attempt went a different circuitous route.

* Re: Emacs gnus (tls) IMAP connection problems with Google
@ 2019-01-28  3:08 Van L
From: Van L @ 2019-01-28  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> It's possible the first attempt fell in a black hole on the 'net.
>> The second attempt went a different circuitous route.

> In my case, the problem is consistent.
> Hopefully someone could give a clue on how to debug the issue and get more information.

The Taipei Times reported yesterday that the link between Fiji and Tonga has been cut the last five days. Tonga is isolated in the main other than satlinks for priority traffic, which does not include Facebook for holiday makers. Traffic won’t get through there, for example.

One way to sussout what’s going for you is to see the raw packet exchange and interpret that with capture tools. (Wireshark? Kali?)

* Emacs gnus (tls) IMAP connection problems with Google
@ 2019-01-26 11:13 Kostas Zorbadelos
From: Kostas Zorbadelos @ 2019-01-26 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello all,

I use emacs gnus for all my mail handling mostly over IMAP.
A recent upgrade in my Arch system left me with a very strange
problem. My software versions:

GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2018-07-05

gnutls 3.6.5-4

My .gnus.el hasn't changed for a very long time, looking like this:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
                                  (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                                  (nnimap-server-port 993)
                                  (nnimap-stream ssl)
				  (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")))

Everything worked very well until I got the following errors connecting
to Google's IMAP service (could be that a recent gnutls upgrade is
responsible, older versions of emacs and gnutls I use in other Linux
systems have no such issue)

*Messages*
Opening nnimap server on gmail...
Opening connection to imap.gmail.com via tls...
Unable to open server nnimap+gmail due to: Process *nnimap*<1> not running
Opening nnimap server on gmail...failed:

Sometimes however (rarely) the connections are established OK.

Unfortunately, I could not debug this, I am at a loss. Trying to get
more info, I found a workaround by setting

(setq gnutls-log-level 2)

in .gnus.el. So, when gnutls debugging is turned on, seems the problem
is hiding (timing issue?). Since mail handling is a core activity for me
I would highly appreciate any help in debugging and solving the
issue. Let me know if and how I can provide any logs / further info. I
run a current version of Arch Linux (updated today).
If you think this list is not appropriate for the issue, feel free to
suggest a more proper place for the discussion.

Regards,
Kostas Zorbadelos