all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* looking up function's doc in emacs
@ 2008-12-10 21:12 Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2008-12-10 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

in programing elisp in emacs, i can press “Ctrl+h f” to lookup the doc
for the function under cursor.

is there such facility when coding in perl, python, php?

(i'm interested in particular python. In perl, i can work around with
“perldoc -f functionName”, and in php it's php.net/functionName. Both
of which i have a elisp command with a shortcut that let me jump to
the doc)

Thanks.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: looking up function's doc in emacs
       [not found] <a7fd6142-79f1-4015-b9fd-62a66f009b28@p2g2000prf.googlegroups.com>
@ 2008-12-11 13:31 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2008-12-11 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah Lee wrote:

> in programing elisp in emacs, i can press “Ctrl+h f” to lookup the doc
> for the function under cursor.
>
> is there such facility when coding in perl, python, php?
>
> (i'm interested in particular python. In perl, i can work around with
> “perldoc -f functionName”, and in php it's php.net/functionName. Both
> of which i have a elisp command with a shortcut that let me jump to
> the doc)
>
> Thanks.
>
>   Xah
> ∑ http://xahlee.org/
>
> ☄
python help(FUNCTIONNAME)

@ 2008-12-11 13:56 ` Matthias
From: Matthias @ 2008-12-11 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> in programing elisp in emacs, i can press “Ctrl+h f” to lookup
> the doc for the function under cursor.   is there such facility
> when coding in perl, python, php?

Yes, try C-h S (or similarly <f1> S):

     (info-lookup-symbol SYMBOL &optional MODE)  Display the
definition of SYMBOL, as found in the relevant manual. When this
command is called interactively, it reads SYMBOL from the
minibuffer.

Note that `the relevant manual' means an info file. With recent
emacsen on an Ubuntu distro, python arrives with info files and
everything is well configured. It also works with bash, latex, perl,
scheme, elisp, awk, texinfo, makefile, libc, or any info file with an
Matthias

@ 2008-12-11 14:47 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-12-11 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:12:44 -0800 (PST) Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:

XL> in programing elisp in emacs, i can press “Ctrl+h f” to lookup the doc
XL> for the function under cursor.

XL> is there such facility when coding in perl, python, php?

XL> (i'm interested in particular python. In perl, i can work around with
XL> “perldoc -f functionName”, and in php it's php.net/functionName. Both
XL> of which i have a elisp command with a shortcut that let me jump to
XL> the doc)

cperl-mode has perldoc access, just look under the Perl->Perl Docs menu
for the keyboart shortcut.  I generally don't use it, personally,
because from the command line I can do zsh completion (e.g.
"perldoc -f <TAB>" will show a completion list of all the documented
functions and "perldof List::<TAB>" will show all the available List::*
modules).

Ted