all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* browse select text, text at point
@ 2011-07-06 12:19 smclean0640
From: smclean0640 @ 2011-07-06 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I am wondering whether anyone in the group knows a package that will
accomplish the following:
- I am on a word, say "limousine", by pressing a keystroke I can browse
  this word in google (or a chosen search engine) with my default browser,
- I have selected a region of text and I want to search that text in my
  default browser.

Any ideas as to how to most effectively accomplish this? Downloading a
packaged would be ideal, but I am willing to try my hand at elisp.

Stuart

* Re: browse select text, text at point
@ 2011-07-06 13:43 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-07-06 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-07-06 14:19, smclean0640@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am wondering whether anyone in the group knows a package that will
> accomplish the following:
> - I am on a word, say "limousine", by pressing a keystroke I can browse
>    this word in google (or a chosen search engine) with my default browser,
> - I have selected a region of text and I want to search that text in my
>    default browser.
>
> Any ideas as to how to most effectively accomplish this? Downloading a
> packaged would be ideal, but I am willing to try my hand at elisp.
>
> Stuart

Something like this should google the word at point.

(defun google-word-at-point ()
   (interactive)
   (let ((word (thing-at-point 'word)))
     (if word
         (funcall browse-url-browser-function
                  (concat "http://google.com/" word))
       (error "No word at point!"))))

You can either call this using M-x google-word-at-point RET or bind it
to a suitable key:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-c g") 'google-word-at-point)

You could extend the function `google-word-at-point' further to check if
`use-region-p' returns non-nil and if so use the region as the "word".

Hope that helps,
Deniz

* RE: browse select text, text at point
@ 2011-07-06 15:26 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-07-06 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: smclean0640, help-gnu-emacs

> - I am on a word, say "limousine", by pressing a keystroke I
>   can browse this word in google (or a chosen search engine)
>   with my default browser,
> - I have selected a region of text and I want to search that
>   text in my default browser.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryWriting

* Re: browse select text, text at point
@ 2011-07-06 17:35   ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-07-06 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.07.2011 15:43, schrieb Deniz Dogan:
> On 2011-07-06 14:19, smclean0640@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am wondering whether anyone in the group knows a package that will
>> accomplish the following:
>> - I am on a word, say "limousine", by pressing a keystroke I can browse
>> this word in google (or a chosen search engine) with my default browser,
>> - I have selected a region of text and I want to search that text in my
>> default browser.
>>
>> Any ideas as to how to most effectively accomplish this? Downloading a
>> packaged would be ideal, but I am willing to try my hand at elisp.
>>
>> Stuart
>>

> Something like this should google the word at point.
>

> (defun google-word-at-point ()
> (interactive)
> (let ((word (thing-at-point 'word)))
> (if word
> (funcall browse-url-browser-function
> (concat "http://google.com/" word))
> (error "No word at point!"))))
>
> You can either call this using M-x google-word-at-point RET or bind it
> to a suitable key:
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-c g") 'google-word-at-point)
>
> You could extend the function `google-word-at-point' further to check if
> `use-region-p' returns non-nil and if so use the region as the "word".
>
> Hope that helps,
> Deniz

Interesting, but get an 404 error.

BTW would build something from

w3m-browse-url

* Re: browse select text, text at point
@ 2011-07-06 19:42 ` Thamer Mahmoud
From: Thamer Mahmoud @ 2011-07-06 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

smclean0640@gmail.com writes:
> I am wondering whether anyone in the group knows a package that will
> accomplish the following:
> - I am on a word, say "limousine", by pressing a keystroke I can browse
>   this word in google (or a chosen search engine) with my default browser,
> - I have selected a region of text and I want to search that text in my
>   default browser.

The following code should handle both words at point and region. Just do
"M-x google" or "C-c g" + ENTER.

(defun tma-word-or-region-at-point ()
  "Return the word or region at point."
  (if mark-active
      (buffer-substring (region-beginning) (region-end))
    (word-at-point)))

(defun tma-interactive-with-default ()
  "Allow a user to enter a search word or phrase, but give a sane default."
   (list (let* ((default-entry (tma-word-or-region-at-point))
		(input (read-string
			(format "Search%s: "
				(if (string= default-entry "")
				    ""
				  (format " (default %s)" default-entry))))))
	   (if (string= input "")
	       (if (string= default-entry "")
		   (error "User must provide word or region.")
		 default-entry)
	     input))))

(defun google (word)
  "Use google to search for word or region."
  (interactive
   (tma-interactive-with-default))
  (browse-url (concat "http://www.google.com/search?q=" word)))

(global-set-key (kbd "C-c g") 'google)

--
Thamer

* Re: browse select text, text at point
@ 2011-07-06 19:59     ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-07-06 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-07-06 19:35, Andreas Röhler wrote:
> Am 06.07.2011 15:43, schrieb Deniz Dogan:
>> On 2011-07-06 14:19, smclean0640@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am wondering whether anyone in the group knows a package that will
>>> accomplish the following:
>>> - I am on a word, say "limousine", by pressing a keystroke I can browse
>>> this word in google (or a chosen search engine) with my default browser,
>>> - I have selected a region of text and I want to search that text in my
>>> default browser.
>>>
>>> Any ideas as to how to most effectively accomplish this? Downloading a
>>> packaged would be ideal, but I am willing to try my hand at elisp.
>>>
>>> Stuart
>>>

>> Something like this should google the word at point.
>>

>> (defun google-word-at-point ()
>> (interactive)
>> (let ((word (thing-at-point 'word)))
>> (if word
>> (funcall browse-url-browser-function
>> (concat "http://google.com/" word))
>> (error "No word at point!"))))
>>
>> You can either call this using M-x google-word-at-point RET or bind it
>> to a suitable key:
>>
>> (global-set-key (kbd "C-c g") 'google-word-at-point)
>>
>> You could extend the function `google-word-at-point' further to check if
>> `use-region-p' returns non-nil and if so use the region as the "word".
>>
>> Hope that helps,
>> Deniz
>>

> Interesting, but get an 404 error.

That's because the URL is wrong of course. :)  I couldn't bother finding
the right querystring to use.  This seems to work though:

(concat "http://www.google.com/search?q="
         (url-hexify-string "Hello there"))

Deniz

* Re: browse select text, text at point
@ 2011-07-07  7:07       ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-07-07  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.07.2011 21:59, schrieb Deniz Dogan:
> On 2011-07-06 19:35, Andreas Röhler wrote:

>>> Something like this should google the word at point.
>>>

>>> (defun google-word-at-point ()
>>> (interactive)
>>> (let ((word (thing-at-point 'word)))
>>> (if word
>>> (funcall browse-url-browser-function
>>> (concat "http://google.com/" word))
>>> (error "No word at point!"))))
>>>
>>> You can either call this using M-x google-word-at-point RET or bind it
>>> to a suitable key:
>>>
>>> (global-set-key (kbd "C-c g") 'google-word-at-point)
>>>
>>> You could extend the function `google-word-at-point' further to check if
>>> `use-region-p' returns non-nil and if so use the region as the "word".
>>>
>>> Hope that helps,
>>> Deniz
>>>

>> Interesting, but get an 404 error.
>>

> That's because the URL is wrong of course. :) I couldn't bother finding
> the right querystring to use. This seems to work though:
>
> (concat "http://www.google.com/search?q="
> (url-hexify-string "Hello there"))
>

> Deniz

thanks, BTW let's mention the code of "whois" in this context.

Andreas

* Re: browse select text, text at point
@ 2011-07-07  7:28         ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-07-07  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-07-07 09:07, Andreas Röhler wrote:
> Am 06.07.2011 21:59, schrieb Deniz Dogan:

>>> Interesting, but get an 404 error.
>>>

>> That's because the URL is wrong of course. :) I couldn't bother finding
>> the right querystring to use. This seems to work though:
>>
>> (concat "http://www.google.com/search?q="
>> (url-hexify-string "Hello there"))
>>

>> Deniz
>>

> thanks, BTW let's mention the code of "whois" in this context.

What?

* Re: browse select text, text at point
@ 2011-07-07  8:24   ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-07-07  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-07-06 21:42, Thamer Mahmoud wrote:
> smclean0640@gmail.com writes:
>> I am wondering whether anyone in the group knows a package that will
>> accomplish the following:
>> - I am on a word, say "limousine", by pressing a keystroke I can browse
>>    this word in google (or a chosen search engine) with my default browser,
>> - I have selected a region of text and I want to search that text in my
>>    default browser.
>>

> The following code should handle both words at point and region. Just do
> "M-x google" or "C-c g" + ENTER.
>
> (defun tma-word-or-region-at-point ()
>    "Return the word or region at point."
>    (if mark-active
>        (buffer-substring (region-beginning) (region-end))
>      (word-at-point)))

It would make more sense to use `use-region-p' here.

@ 2011-07-07  9:24   ` Jonathan Groll
From: Jonathan Groll @ 2011-07-07  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thamer Mahmoud, help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 22:42:30 +0300, Thamer Mahmoud <thamer.mahmoud@gmail.com> wrote:

> smclean0640@gmail.com writes:
> > I am wondering whether anyone in the group knows a package that will
> > accomplish the following: - I am on a word, say "limousine", by
> > pressing a keystroke I can browse
> >   this word in google (or a chosen search engine) with my default browser,
> > - I have selected a region of text and I want to search that text in my
> >   default browser.
> >

> The following code should handle both words at point and region. Just do
> "M-x google" or "C-c g" + ENTER.
>
> (defun tma-word-or-region-at-point ()
>  "Return the word or region at point."
>  (if mark-active
>      (buffer-substring (region-beginning) (region-end))
>    (word-at-point)))
>
> (defun tma-interactive-with-default ()
>  "Allow a user to enter a search word or phrase, but give a sane default."
>   (list (let* ((default-entry (tma-word-or-region-at-point))
> 		(input (read-string
> 			(format "Search%s: "
> 				(if (string= default-entry "")
> 				    ""
> 				  (format " (default %s)" default-entry))))))
> 	   (if (string= input "")
> 	       (if (string= default-entry "")
> 		   (error "User must provide word or region.")
> default-entry) 	     input))))
>
> (defun google (word)
>  "Use google to search for word or region."
>  (interactive (tma-interactive-with-default))
>  (browse-url (concat "http://www.google.com/search?q=" word)))
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-c g") 'google)

Almost there - think it'll need some string escaping, as a search on
"google+ emacs client" dropped the "+".

Cheers,
Jonathan
--