On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 00:05:37 -0400, Joseph Mingrone said: | Paul Eggert writes: || Wolfgang Jenkner wrote: ||| So, perhaps, the FreeBSD 9 default base cc (a patched gcc 4.2.1) has ||| some stack-related optimization bug, even on amd64? || Thanks for the detective work. It inspired me to search GCC bug reports, where I || found a couple that appear to be directly relevant. The corresponding bug was || fixed in 2008 but GCC 4.2.1 predates the fix. I installed the attached patch || into the emacs-25 branch, and I hope it works around the compiler bug with || stack-allocated Lisp objects on FreeBSD 9. Please give it a try. | Thanks for taking a look at the problem, but unfortunately it persists. A new log is attached. | While the ancient version of gcc is the default compiler in FreeBSD | 9.3, clang is in the base system. I tested using the base clang in | 9.3 and the compiling finished without the error. I'll submit a patch | for the FreeBSD port to use clang. Hi Joseph (and everyone), Thanks much for investigating. The port builds fine with clang, like Joseph said in his reply. I'm building the port with all OPTIONS to catch any possible errors with following diff: