all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* set-frame-font and set-face-attribute
@ 2024-06-22 20:23 Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-06-22 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

What is the important difference between

(set-frame-font "URW Chancery L-12" nil t)

and

(set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "URW Chancery L-12")

In what circumstances would one need one over the other ?

* Re: set-frame-font and set-face-attribute
@ 2024-06-22 20:39 ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-06-22 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

On Saturday, June 22nd, 2024 at 8:23 PM, Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> wrote:

> What is the important difference between
>
> (set-frame-font "URW Chancery L-12" nil t)
>
> and
>
> (set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "URW Chancery L-12")
>
> In what circumstances would one need one over the other ?

I am also unsure of what the font declaration should be

(set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "URW Chancery L-12")

or

(set-face-attribute 'default nil
  :family "URW Chancery L" :height 120)

or something else

* Re: set-frame-font and set-face-attribute
@ 2024-06-23  4:47 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-06-23  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2024 20:23:29 +0000
> From: Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>
>

> What is the important difference between
>
> (set-frame-font "URW Chancery L-12" nil t)
>
> and
>
> (set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "URW Chancery L-12")

Basically, no difference.  set-frame-font calls set-face-attribute
internally.

> In what circumstances would one need one over the other ?

set-frame-font can control what happens to the frame size, otherwise
there's no significant difference.

* Re: set-frame-font and set-face-attribute
@ 2024-06-23  4:49   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-06-23  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2024 20:39:56 +0000
> From: Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>
> Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> I am also unsure of what the font declaration should be
>
> (set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "URW Chancery L-12")
>
> or
>
> (set-face-attribute 'default nil
>   :family "URW Chancery L" :height 120)
>
> or something else

This is documented in the doc string of set-face-attribute.
Specifically, :family is more general than :font.