Below you will find a patch to extend show-paren-mode with a new `prelude' style. It's an extension of `parenthesis' style. If the matching opening paren is not visible, it will show the line of text containing it as an overlay on the window's start line. I think it's pretty useful, as it helps in keeping context when working e.g. in defuns with many lines of code -- all without having to scroll up and down. If this extension sounds useful to be included for some of you as well, I would be very happy to get some feedback. There for sure are things to improve. (It actually works quite well with the use cases I tried.) To try it out: - emacs -Q - In scratch buffer, enter some long lisp expressions that overlap the window. - (setq show-paren-style 'prelude) - (show-paren-mode) Note 1: There may already be such functionality available that I'm not aware of. Please let me know if that is the case. Note 2: When the fade-in line contains multiple opening parens, the matching one is highlighted. Note 3: I'm not too sure about the colors to choose for the new `show-paren-prelude' face. Any feedback is welcome. Thanks, Alain