all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Saving files by subject in emacs
@ 2019-02-27 19:28 M. P.
From: M. P. @ 2019-02-27 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am on a Mac and want to save emacs files to a specific folders by subject. How do I do this?

* RE: Saving files by subject in emacs
@ 2019-02-27 20:53 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2019-02-27 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M. P., help-gnu-emacs

> I am on a Mac and want to save emacs files to a specific folders by
> subject. How do I do this?

Define "by subject".  Where is the subject of a file
specified?

* Re: Saving files by subject in emacs
@ 2019-02-27 21:49 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2019-02-27 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

M. P. wrote:

> I am on a Mac and want to save emacs files to
> a specific folders by subject. How do
> I do this?

You just create the directory (folder) the way
you normally do [1] and when you later save
a buffer's contents (basically what you see on
the screen) to a file, type the path to the
desired dir as the file's destination.

So if you create a dir ~/girls/kate-moss/ and
have a file katie-1.txt, in that buffer, do
`C-x C-w' (`write-file') if the file at that
point is in another dir, and specify the
new, correct path.

Note that the old file is still around in its
original place, and this can be the cause of
some confusion later on when you get tired and
don't realize what file you are editing. So you
can also choose to *move* the file, for example
using Dired, an Emacs mode for all interactions
with the filesystem (= your files and dirs).
Or just remove the original file, of course,
which also Dired can do for you.

If you start a brand new file, do `C-x C-f'
(`find-file') and place it in the correct dir
to begin with, and give it a proper
"subject" name.

[1] This can also be done from Emacs BTW which
    you will prefer soon enough, God willing :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: [OFFTOPIC] Saving files by subject in emacs
@ 2019-02-27 22:15   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-02-27 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> So if you create a dir ~/girls/kate-moss/ and

I think at 45 years of age "girl" is not appropriate any more.
Do you also have a ~/boys/harrison-ford by any chance?

* Re: [OFFTOPIC] Saving files by subject in emacs
@ 2019-02-27 22:26     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2019-02-27 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> So if you create a dir ~/girls/kate-moss/
>> and
>
> I think at 45 years of age "girl" is not
> appropriate any more. Do you also have
> a ~/boys/harrison-ford by any chance?

No, but a ~/kings/stefan-monnier

--

@ 2019-02-28  0:08       ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2019-02-28  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg writes:

>> I think at 45 years of age "girl" is not
>> appropriate any more. Do you also have
>> a ~/boys/harrison-ford by any chance?
>
> No, but a ~/kings/stefan-monnier

And, a ~/bishops/emanuel-berg

But, what if you want to a listing in a treasurers too?

--
© 2019 Van L
gpg using EEF2 37E9 3840 0D5D 9183  251E 9830 384E 9683 B835