all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Seeking remote Emacs recommendations
@ 2023-08-05 13:16 Jeff Clough
From: Jeff Clough @ 2023-08-05 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs Help

Hello!

I'm wondering what people's recommendations are for approaches,
packages, and configurations for running Emacs on a remote GNU/Linux
system and displaying/interacting with that Emacs via Windows 10. I know
there are several ways to accomplish this (or used to be), but I don't
want to bark up an outdated or inefficient tree. Since this has *got* to
be a common need around here, I figured at least one person on the list
would have The Answer.

Various and sundry details of my setup/needs are in the PS.

Thanks!

Jeff

PS...

I have several pieces of Windows-only proprietary software which I
*must* run for my business. Half of these work OK under Wine, most of
the rest have minor instabilities, but one falls over and dies with
alarming regularity. So, Windows 10 Professional is and must remain my
main OS for now.

I also have a machine running Ubuntu 22.04 (desktop) which mostly just
sits around.

This is all on a small, glorified home network where I can set
consistent IP addresses and change any and all settings and software
packages as needed (minus the software dependencies I mentioned above,
of course).

All this said, my main work environment is Emacs. I really can't live
without Org, Gnus, and BBDB at this point. I have all of this *mostly*
working under Windows but I keep running into little...glitches. Most of
these are heisenbugs, and all of them are the sorts of things I've
always seen when running Emacs outside of a *nix environment.

I'm thinking at this point that it might be easier to run Emacs on the
Ubuntu system and display it remotely on Windows. In the Elder Days, I would
have done this via X, and maybe FTP to move files between machines as
needed. This is probably an insane thing to do in 2023.

So, what do *you* do?