all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* reloading mode
@ 2004-11-23  9:58 Alex Polite
From: Alex Polite @ 2004-11-23  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm altering a mode (transcript.el). Restarting emacs after every edit
to the mode file is very tedious. What's the right way of doing it?

alex

--
Alex Polite
http://polite.se

* Re: reloading mode
@ 2004-11-23 11:45 ` Daniel Pittman
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2004-11-23 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23 Nov 2004, Alex Polite wrote:
> I'm altering a mode (transcript.el). Restarting emacs after every edit
> to the mode file is very tedious. What's the right way of doing it?

You can put your cursor at or after the closing bracket in the
expression and hit 'C-M-x' to run `eval-defun' and, as such, execute the
changed code.

Alternately, `M-x eval-buffer' in the mode buffer will run all the code
there, changing the definitions at runtime.

Finally, you can `M-x load-file', then specify which Lisp file to load,
or even `M-x byte-compile-file' to byte-compile it before you load it.

Anyway, if you change a function, or whatever, you can simply execute
that Lisp code at runtime and the change takes immediate effect within
Emacs.

Regards,
        Daniel

--
Advertising is a valuable economic factor because it is the cheapest way of
selling goods, especially if the goods are worthless.

* Re: reloading mode
@ 2004-11-23 11:55 ` David Raleigh Arnold
       [not found] ` <mailman.919.1101211520.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Raleigh Arnold @ 2004-11-23 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 23 November 2004 04:58 am, Alex Polite wrote:
> I'm altering a mode (transcript.el). Restarting emacs after every edit
> to the mode file is very tedious. What's the right way of doing it?

I'm way over my head here, but is there anything useful from

C-h a
load

? I don't know what I'm looking at myself.  daveA

* Re: reloading mode
       [not found] ` <mailman.919.1101211520.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-11-23 12:09   ` Alex Polite
From: Alex Polite @ 2004-11-23 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On tis, nov 23, 2004 at 06:55:49 -0500, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 November 2004 04:58 am, Alex Polite wrote:
> > I'm altering a mode (transcript.el). Restarting emacs after every edit
> > to the mode file is very tedious. What's the right way of doing it?
>
> I'm way over my head here, but is there anything useful from
>
> C-h a
> load
>
> ? I don't know what I'm looking at myself.  daveA

I found load-file but that doesn't do the trick.

--
Alex Polite
http://polite.se

* Re: reloading mode
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.919.1101211520.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-11-23 12:09 ` Albert Reiner
From: Albert Reiner @ 2004-11-23 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Alex Polite <m4@polite.se>, 23 Nov 2004 09:58:47 GMT]:
> I'm altering a mode (transcript.el). Restarting emacs after every edit
> to the mode file is very tedious. What's the right way of doing it?

I don't know much about these things, but can't you just M-x load-file
filename RET?

Or you can evaluate all definitions as you change them with C-M-x (or
C-x C-e should that buffer be in a non-Lispy mode).

Albert.

* Re: reloading mode
@ 2004-11-23 19:56     ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2004-11-23 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

   On tis, nov 23, 2004 at 06:55:49 -0500, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
   > On Tuesday 23 November 2004 04:58 am, Alex Polite wrote:
   > > I'm altering a mode (transcript.el). Restarting emacs after every edit
   > > to the mode file is very tedious. What's the right way of doing it?
   >
   > I'm way over my head here, but is there anything useful from
   >
   > C-h a
   > load
   >
   > ? I don't know what I'm looking at myself.  daveA

   I found load-file but that doesn't do the trick.

I concur, and I haven't found anything better than restarting emacs.
To save time, I sometimes edit in one emacs and then do my testing in
another emacs that just loads the code defining the new mode.

* Re: reloading mode
@ 2004-11-23 20:55     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-11-23 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I found load-file but that doesn't do the trick.

Is "doesn't do the trick" the best description you can come up with?
I must say, I feel like ti doesn't give me nearly enough clues to start
helping you solve your problem.

* Re: reloading mode
@ 2004-11-27 20:14   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-11-27 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

> On 23 Nov 2004, Alex Polite wrote:
>> I'm altering a mode (transcript.el). Restarting emacs after every edit
>> to the mode file is very tedious. What's the right way of doing it?
>
> You can put your cursor at or after the closing bracket in the
> expression and hit 'C-M-x' to run `eval-defun' and, as such, execute the
> changed code.

C-M-x is used *inside* the expression to evaluate.  C-x C-e is used
after the closing parenthesis.

One other difference is that C-M-x only evaluates top-level
expressions, but C-x C-e can be used inside expressions, too.

C-M-x handles defvar specially, I think that C-x C-e does not.
(The special handling means that changing the value in a defvar and
then doing C-M-x in it changes the value of the variable in Emacs,
although the standard definition of defvar does not change the
variable's value, if it already has one.)

Kai