all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Obtaining a Lisp form from a file
@ 2017-07-25 17:20 Udyant Wig
From: Udyant Wig @ 2017-07-25 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a better way to write this?

(let ((foo-buffer (get-buffer-create "*foo*"))
      foo-form)
  (with-current-buffer foo-buffer
    (insert-file-contents foo-file))
  (setq foo-form (read foo-buffer))
  (kill-buffer foo-buffer)
  foo-form)

--
... while the ways of art are hard at the best, they will break you if
you go unsustained by belief in what you are trying to do.

* Re: Obtaining a Lisp form from a file
@ 2017-07-25 17:31 ` John Mastro
From: John Mastro @ 2017-07-25 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org; +Cc: Udyant Wig

Udyant Wig <udyant.wig@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a better way to write this?
>
> (let ((foo-buffer (get-buffer-create "*foo*"))
>       foo-form)
>   (with-current-buffer foo-buffer
>     (insert-file-contents foo-file))
>   (setq foo-form (read foo-buffer))
>   (kill-buffer foo-buffer)
>   foo-form)

(with-temp-buffer
  (insert-file-contents file)
  (read (current-buffer)))

Hope that helps

        John

* Re: Obtaining a Lisp form from a file
@ 2017-07-25 18:22 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-07-25 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Udyant Wig wrote:

> Is there a better way to write this?
>
> (let ((foo-buffer (get-buffer-create "*foo*"))
> foo-form) (with-current-buffer foo-buffer
> (insert-file-contents foo-file)) (setq foo-form
> (read foo-buffer)) (kill-buffer foo-buffer)
> foo-form)

If nothing else, stop using the foobar stuff.
Always give proper names. I understand it is
just for testing but 1) it tends to make
testing worse as it decreases the mental
discipline, and 2) often enough such supposedly
testing code makes it into the real thing (or
bugs occur at the point when "OK, now it works,
let's just rename it right").

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Obtaining a Lisp form from a file
@ 2017-07-26  7:22   ` Udyant Wig
From: Udyant Wig @ 2017-07-26  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On 07/25/2017 11:01 PM, John Mastro wrote:
> (with-temp-buffer
>   (insert-file-contents file)
>   (read (current-buffer)))
>
> Hope that helps