all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#71820: 29.3; Org mode not working
@ 2024-06-28  8:46 nitin choudhary
From: nitin choudhary @ 2024-06-28  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 71820

Uninstalled emacs, deleted config and .emacs.d folder too, and installed
emacs back, tried M-x org-version, emacs hangs indefinitely.

Was working fine 2 days ago.

In GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2024-03-24 built on
 AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19045
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language
(v10.0.2009.19045.4529)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation=aot
 --without-compress-install --with-sqlite3 --with-tree-sitter
 CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENN
  locale-coding-system: cp65001

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  server-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils server rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 51484 7271)
 (symbols 48 5273 0)
 (strings 32 15653 2451)
 (string-bytes 1 438419)
 (vectors 16 11415)
 (vector-slots 8 270883 18434)
 (floats 8 46 17)
 (intervals 56 236 0)
 (buffers 984 11))

* bug#71820: 29.3; Org mode not working
@ 2024-06-28 11:22 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <CAGRUbKgT0hqf8uqdARxEqLFtKvuyTKcoH30JBaDWK_Yr5Cr7SA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-06-28 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nitin choudhary; +Cc: 71820

> From: nitin choudhary <ntnchdhry@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2024 14:16:30 +0530
>
> Uninstalled emacs, deleted config and .emacs.d folder too, and installed
> emacs back, tried M-x org-version, emacs hangs indefinitely.

I cannot reproduce this, but I don't use the binary from the GNU site.

Does this happen in "emacs -Q"?

@ 2024-06-29  8:05     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-06-29  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nitin choudhary; +Cc: 71820

[Please use Reply All to reply, to keep the bug tracker CC'ed.]

> From: nitin choudhary <ntnchdhry@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2024 07:47:18 +0530
>
> Yes, it's happening in emacs -Q too, everything was working fine, I changed nothing in my config, or pc, it just
> stopped working, deleted everything, uninstalled emacs, installed emacs and did emacs -Q, still same :/

Then I don't know what happens in your case, sorry.  Unless someone
else can reproduce and debug this, I'd say it's something specific to
your system.  If you have GDB installed, maybe try to attach it to
Emacs when it hangs, and produce a backtrace to tell us where it
hangs.  This could give us some hints regarding the possible
reason(s).

* bug#71820: 29.3; Org mode not working
@ 2024-07-01  6:03       ` nitin choudhary
From: nitin choudhary @ 2024-07-01  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 71820

How to use GDB, I tried installing msys2 emacs and cygwin emacs-w32 as
well, both of them clean installed, zero config, opened and did M-x
org-version, same result freezes on enter, and I can C-g to cancel it and
emacs back to normal, emacs is working fine, its just org-mode not working
at all, how can I debug this using GDB or any other way? I did tried
debug-on-entry, no result there as well. Now, I'm starting to believe
something has changed on my windows system, but what it is, I did updates
and checked permissions, seems fine. I really need to fix this, I thought
using msys2/cygwin won't have this problem, but surprisingly they're also
not working!!

@ 2024-07-01 10:40         ` nitin choudhary
From: nitin choudhary @ 2024-07-01 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 71820

Now I created a new user under windows, and inside that org-mode is working
fine when opening the emacs, so what has changed under my account, how to
fix this?

@ 2024-07-01 11:26           ` nitin choudhary
From: nitin choudhary @ 2024-07-01 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 71820

FINALLY FIXED, Ran fixing of registry and cleaned it under CCleaner
application, and now, its working!!

@ 2024-07-01 11:49         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-07-01 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nitin choudhary; +Cc: 71820

> From: nitin choudhary <ntnchdhry@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2024 11:33:02 +0530
> Cc: 71820@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> How to use GDB, I tried installing msys2 emacs and cygwin emacs-w32 as well, both of them clean installed,
> zero config, opened and did M-x org-version, same result freezes on enter, and I can C-g to cancel it and
> emacs back to normal, emacs is working fine

Wait a minute: you say that typing C-g cancels the freeze, and makes
Emacs responsive again?  That means it is not frozen, but doing
something longish, perhaps in some infinite loop.  So try setting
debug-on-signal to the value t before "M-x org-version", and then when
it freezes, type C-g -- it should produce a Lisp backtrace.  Post that
here.

* bug#71820: 29.3; Org mode not working
@ 2024-07-01 12:25             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-07-01 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nitin choudhary; +Cc: 71820-done

> From: nitin choudhary <ntnchdhry@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2024 16:56:35 +0530
> Cc: 71820@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> FINALLY FIXED, Ran fixing of registry and cleaned it under CCleaner application, and now, its working!!

OK, thanks, so I'm closing this bug.