all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* A few weird behaviours with emacs 21.3.1
@ 2003-06-25 19:51 John Kliff Jochens
From: John Kliff Jochens @ 2003-06-25 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I recently installed 21.3.1 compiled from source (Linux, gentoo 1.4 rc
4).
Everything just works flawlessly except for these few thing I wonder if
anyone can give me some hints:

- the region marking is behaving somewhat strange: in 21.2, when I
C-space and moved the cursor, the region I was selcting was highlighted
and the highlight dispeared only once I had the mark set (C-x C-x). Now,
this highlighting only works when I select a region with my mouse.

- when I put the cursor over a parenthesis (bracket, braces, etc) there
is no parenthesis ( braces, brackets, etc) matching. I remembered the
existence of paren-match (or what was it?), but I never had to use it to
achieve this behaviour and C-h d didn't give any hint of a function that
could be useful. Where am I going wrong with this?

Besides these (little) problems, I have another question. I have some
code in my .emacs that managed to make dired always change the content
of the current buffer instead of creating another one (code that was
posted in this mailing list not long ago). I was trying to change that
code to achieve the same behaviour with the Customize emacs. Any help?

I sinceerely thank you all for any help.

Cheers

John

* Re: A few weird behaviours with emacs 21.3.1
       [not found] <mailman.8636.1056582951.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-26  0:37 ` Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2003-06-26  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,

John Kliff Jochens <jkliff@escatologia.net> writes:

> - when I put the cursor over a parenthesis (bracket, braces, etc) there
> is no parenthesis ( braces, brackets, etc) matching. I remembered the
> existence of paren-match (or what was it?), but I never had to use it to
> achieve this behaviour and C-h d didn't give any hint of a function that
> could be useful. Where am I going wrong with this?

have a look at show-paren-mode, and customize it to be on by default.

> Besides these (little) problems, I have another question. I have some
> code in my .emacs that managed to make dired always change the content
> of the current buffer instead of creating another one (code that was
> posted in this mailing list not long ago). I was trying to change that
> code to achieve the same behaviour with the Customize emacs. Any help?

you can just put

(setq custom-buffer-done-function 'kill-buffer)

somewhere in your .emacs or customize custom-buffer-done-function.

hth,
jao
--
"Knowledge is proud that he has learned so much;
Wisdom is humble that he knows no more." -- William Cowper

@ 2003-06-26 18:11 ` Paolo Gianrossi
From: Paolo Gianrossi @ 2003-06-26 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25 Jun 2003 16:51:10 -0300
John Kliff Jochens <jkliff@escatologia.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently installed 21.3.1 compiled from source (Linux, gentoo 1.4 rc
> 4).
> Everything just works flawlessly except for these few thing I wonder if
> anyone can give me some hints:
>
> - the region marking is behaving somewhat strange: in 21.2, when I
> C-space and moved the cursor, the region I was selcting was highlighted
> and the highlight dispeared only once I had the mark set (C-x C-x). Now,
> this highlighting only works when I select a region with my mouse.
is transient-mode on?

cheers
paolino

@ 2003-06-30  0:24 ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2003-06-30  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Kliff Jochens <jkliff@escatologia.net> writes:
[snip]
> - the region marking is behaving somewhat strange: in 21.2, when I
> C-space and moved the cursor, the region I was selcting was highlighted
> and the highlight dispeared only once I had the mark set (C-x C-x). Now,
> this highlighting only works when I select a region with my mouse.
[snip]

This sounds like transient-mark-mode is on. I put

(transient-mark-mode -1) ;; Turn off transient-mark-mode .

in my .emacs .

If your .emacs loads .el files you may have to put it after the .el
    files are loaded; some might set transient-mark-mode .