all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to make EMMS display only play/pause/stop info in the modeline?
@ 2017-06-16 12:42 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2017-06-16 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

so I finally got to the place wen I want to declutter my modeline.
A big part of it is EMMS' artist/song info.  I really do not need that
(especially that I control EMMS from a hydra which displays that
anyway), but some short indication whether EMMS is
playing/paused/stopped would be nice.  Is that possible without surgery
on EMMS' source code?

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski

* Re: How to make EMMS display only play/pause/stop info in the modeline?
@ 2017-06-16 13:22 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-06-16 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> so I finally got to the place wen I want to
> declutter my modeline. A big part of it is
> EMMS' artist/song info. I really do not need
> that (especially that I control EMMS from
> a hydra which displays that anyway), but some
> short indication whether EMMS is
> playing/paused/stopped would be nice. Is that
> possible without surgery on EMMS'
> source code?

EMMS should have a format string to do that.
If it doesn't, some surgery is perhaps called
for. But you can set it up any way you like.
Here is an example. Looks really messy but the
result is a very clean mode line. I think
I have the most minimalistic one possible save
for disabling the mode line altogether. Here is
a dump:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/pics/mode-line-example.png

(setq-default mode-line-format
 `(" "
   (:eval (when (eq major-mode 'Buffer-menu-mode) (format-time-string " %H:%M")))
   (:eval (unless (or buffer-read-only
                      (member major-mode '(
                                           erc-mode
                                           inferior-emacs-lisp-mode
                                           message-mode
                                           shell-mode
                                           )))
            mode-line-modified))
   " "
   (:eval
    (cl-case major-mode
      ('Buffer-menu-mode "")
      ('message-mode     (buffer-name))
      ('w3m-mode         (format "%s  .  %s" w3m-current-title w3m-current-url))
      (t (cond
          (dired-directory  dired-directory)
          (buffer-file-name (abbreviate-file-name buffer-file-name))
          (t                mode-line-buffer-identification) ))))
   " "
   (show-modes mode-line-modes)
   (line-number-mode   "[%l] ")
   (column-number-mode "{%c} ")
   ))

All code:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/mode-line.el

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: How to make EMMS display only play/pause/stop info in the modeline?
@ 2017-06-17 17:39 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2017-06-17 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcin Borkowski (2017-06-16 14:42 +0200) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> so I finally got to the place wen I want to declutter my modeline.
> A big part of it is EMMS' artist/song info.  I really do not need that
> (especially that I control EMMS from a hydra which displays that
> anyway), but some short indication whether EMMS is
> playing/paused/stopped would be nice.  Is that possible without surgery
> on EMMS' source code?

I don't know about EMMS itself, but it's possible with 'emms-state'
package (available from MELPA¹).  If you do this:

  (setq emms-state-mode-line-string '(" " emms-state))

then the only character will be displayed in the mode-line: "⏵", "⏸", or
"⏹" (these strings can be customized).

Actually, you can customize that variable anyway you want in a usual
mode-line-format manner.

¹ https://melpa.org/#/emms-state

--
Alex