all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Organized Learning
@ 2003-09-22 21:08 Artist
From: Artist @ 2003-09-22 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently came upon a website called Stumbleupon.com where there is a
small toolbar to download and you get different website each time you
click the stumble icon matching to your interest and then you rate the
website etc..
full detail at www.stumbleupon.com

Question: How we can converge the theme of the application with emacs
to learn new emacs things or even the emacs newsgroups or posting of
featurs.

Thanks,
artist.

* Re: Organized Learning
@ 2003-09-24  1:56 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-09-24  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

googleartist@yahoo.com (Artist) writes:

> I recently came upon a website called Stumbleupon.com where there is
> a small toolbar to download and you get different website each time
> you click the stumble icon matching to your interest and then you
> rate the website etc..
>
> Question: How we can converge the theme of the application with
> emacs to learn new emacs things

This small code snippet (by Dave Pearson) that displays a "tip of the
day":

(defun totd ()
  (interactive)
  (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*Tip of the day*"
    (let* ((commands (loop for s being the symbols
                           when (commandp s) collect s))
           (command (nth (random (length commands)) commands)))
      (princ
       (concat "Your tip for the day is:\n========================\n\n"
               (describe-function command)
               "\n\nInvoke with:\n\n"
               (with-temp-buffer
                 (where-is command t)
                 (buffer-string)))))))

You could invoke it in .emacs to stumble upon a random command every
time you start Emacs.  keywiz.el¹ is another way to learn about new
commands (and remember their key bindings).

¹ <http://purl.org/harder/keywiz.el>

* Re: Organized Learning
@ 2003-09-24 18:20   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-09-24 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder wrote:

> googleartist@yahoo.com (Artist) writes:
>>I recently came upon a website called Stumbleupon.com where there is
>>a small toolbar to download and you get different website each time
>>you click the stumble icon matching to your interest and then you
>>rate the website etc..
>>
>>Question: How we can converge the theme of the application with
>>emacs to learn new emacs things
>>

> This small code snippet (by Dave Pearson) that displays a "tip of the
> day":
>
> (defun totd ()
>   (interactive)
>   (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*Tip of the day*"
>     (let* ((commands (loop for s being the symbols
>                            when (commandp s) collect s))
>            (command (nth (random (length commands)) commands)))
>       (princ
>        (concat "Your tip for the day is:\n========================\n\n"
>                (describe-function command)
>                "\n\nInvoke with:\n\n"
>                (with-temp-buffer
>                  (where-is command t)
>                  (buffer-string)))))))

That could be extended to describe user options as well as commands:

[-- Attachment #2: totd.el --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 617 bytes --]

(defun totd ()
  (interactive)
  (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*Tip of the day*"
    (let* ((symbols (loop for s being the symbols
			  when (or (commandp s) (user-variable-p s))
			  collect s))
           (symbol (nth (random (length symbols)) symbols)))
      (princ
       (concat "Your tip for the day is:\n========================\n\n"
               (cond ((commandp symbol)
		      (concat (describe-function symbol)
			      "\n\nInvoke with:\n\n"
			      (with-temp-buffer
			       (where-is symbol t)
			       (buffer-string))))
		     ((user-variable-p symbol)
		      (describe-variable symbol))))))))

* Re: Organized Learning
@ 2003-09-24 22:26     ` Dan Anderson
       [not found]     ` <mailman.673.1064442401.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-09-24 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

	I put your code in my .emacs and it didn't display a tip of the day on
startup (is it supposed to?).  What would I do to get it to display a
tip of the day on startup?

Thanks,

-Dan

* Re: Organized Learning
       [not found]     ` <mailman.673.1064442401.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-24 22:48       ` lawrence mitchell
From: lawrence mitchell @ 2003-09-24 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson wrote:

> 	I put your code in my .emacs and it didn't display a tip of the day on
> startup (is it supposed to?).  What would I do to get it to display a
> tip of the day on startup?

Did you also call the function thus defined in your .emacs,
i.e. did you add

(totd)

to the end of your .emacs?

--
lawrence mitchell <wence@gmx.li>

* Re: Organized Learning
       [not found]     ` <mailman.673.1064442401.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-24 23:06       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-09-24 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson wrote:

> 	I put your code in my .emacs and it didn't display a tip of the day on
> startup (is it supposed to?).  What would I do to get it to display a
> tip of the day on startup?

All the code does is define a function.  You need to actually call it:

	(totd)	; Display the tip of the day

Or you could annoy yourself continually:

	(run-with-idle-timer 60 t 'totd)
	(setq special-display-buffer-names
	      (cons "*Tip of the day*" special-display-buffer-names))

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Organized Learning
       [not found]     ` <mailman.673.1064442401.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-25  8:40     ` Adam Hardy
       [not found]     ` <mailman.696.1064479254.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Adam Hardy @ 2003-09-25  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Here comes the lisp amateur...... I can't get it to work! When I execute
(totd) it says "(void-function loop)". Have I got to install some
package or something?

GNU Emacs 21.3.1 on Linux 2.4.20 RH9

* Re: Organized Learning
@ 2003-09-25 13:03   ` Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2003-09-25 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can I put this function into a .el file?  I tried but I get a message that
reads "Symbol's function definition is void: loop"

Also, I use emacs just as an editor, and not as an environment, so how can
I make it so it truely only gets displayed once a day, no matter how many
times I start emacs?

Thanks!

@ 2003-09-25 15:01       ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]         ` <3F75B6AC.2020305@cyberspaceroad.com>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-09-25 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Hardy wrote:

> Here comes the lisp amateur...... I can't get it to work! When I execute
> (totd) it says "(void-function loop)". Have I got to install some
> package or something?

(require 'cl) before (defun totd ...)

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Organized Learning
       [not found] <mailman.705.1064496195.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-25 15:20 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-09-25 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Dziulko wrote:

> Can I put this function into a .el file?  I tried but I get a message that
> reads "Symbol's function definition is void: loop"

(require 'cl) before (defun totd ...)

> Also, I use emacs just as an editor, and not as an environment, so how can
> I make it so it truely only gets displayed once a day, no matter how many
> times I start emacs?

You could write the buffer to a file, and then only run the function if there
is no file already written today:

(defadvice totd (after write-file activate)
   "Write the *Tip of the day* buffer to a file."
   (with-current-buffer "*Tip of the day*"
     (write-file "~")))

(or (and (file-exists-p "~/*Tip of the day*")
          ;; Do (... DAY MONTH YEAR DOW DST ZONE) match?
          (equal (nthcdr 3 (decode-time
                            (nth 5 (file-attributes "~/*Tip of the day*"))))
                 (nthcdr 3 (decode-time (current-time)))))
     (totd))

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Organized Learning
@ 2003-09-25 20:18   ` Artist
From: Artist @ 2003-09-25 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:<m3zngvuexz.fsf@defun.localdomain>...
> googleartist@yahoo.com (Artist) writes:

> This small code snippet (by Dave Pearson) that displays a "tip of the
> day":

They both work wonderful. Thanks,
 The concept is very good, I am going to learn lot with it.

  What I had asked was something like we all can 'use' each other's
finding, but there is lot to learn  for oneself from emacs itself.
 Some additional funtionality, such as making list of interesting
finding or categorize them according to 'topic' would be nice as well.

Thank you,
artist.

* Re: Organized Learning
       [not found]         ` <3F75B6AC.2020305@cyberspaceroad.com>
@ 2003-09-27 20:29           ` Adam Hardy
From: Adam Hardy @ 2003-09-27 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

By the way, is there a way to get the output to appear in the splash
page with the GNU Emacs on it?

On 09/27/2003 06:11 PM Adam Hardy wrote:
> Thanks!
> Adam
>
> On 09/25/2003 05:01 PM Kevin Rodgers wrote:
>
>> Adam Hardy wrote:
>>
>>> Here comes the lisp amateur...... I can't get it to work! When I
>>> execute (totd) it says "(void-function loop)". Have I got to install
>>> some package or something?
>>

>> (require 'cl) before (defun totd ...)

--
GNU Emacs 21.2.1 on Linux 2.4.20 RH9

* Re: Organized Learning
@ 2003-10-14 21:15 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-10-14 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Back when I used VM, "I have SEEN the CONSing!" (or something
similar).  So if people using VM can do that, why can't newbies today
see the tips?

Or do we BLAME it on the BOSSA NOVA?

:-)