all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Regexp Query/Replace Without Trashing Original Text
@ 2004-07-31 10:37 Tennis Smith
From: Tennis Smith @ 2004-07-31 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

How can I convert something like this

$GLOBAL_VAR

to this:

$global_array(GLOBAL_VAR)

??

Its easy to do a regexp query/replace for "\$[A-Z]", but I don't really want
to change either the leading dollar sign ("$") or the trailing uppercase
text (GLOBAL_VAR).

TIA,
-Tennis

--
Remove "-remove-to-reply" to respond to my  email address directly.

* Re: Regexp Query/Replace Without Trashing Original Text
@ 2004-08-01 13:15 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-08-01 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Tennis Smith" <tennis_smith@yahoo-remove-to-reply.com> writes:

> How can I convert something like this
>
> $GLOBAL_VAR
>
> to this:
>
> $global_array(GLOBAL_VAR)
>
> ??

I presume it's variables starting with an uppercase letter.  You can
make a kbd macro for this.  C-x ( starts recording, C-x ) ends
recording.  In the macro, search for $ followed by an uppercase
letter.  Then move point to after the $, then insert "global_array(",
then use M-f or C-M-f to skip forward over the variable name, then
insert the closing parenthesis.

Kbd macros are your friends.

Kai

* Re: Regexp Query/Replace Without Trashing Original Text
@ 2004-08-01 17:34 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2004-08-01 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Tennis Smith" <tennis_smith@yahoo-remove-to-reply.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> How can I convert something like this
>
> $GLOBAL_VAR
>
> to this:
>
> $global_array(GLOBAL_VAR)
>
> ??
>
> Its easy to do a regexp query/replace for "\$[A-Z]", but I don't really want
> to change either the leading dollar sign ("$") or the trailing uppercase
> text (GLOBAL_VAR).

M-x replace-regexp RET \$\([A-Z][A-Z_]*\) RET $global_array(\1) RET

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not
want merely because you think it would be good for him. -- Robert Heinlein

* Re: Regexp Query/Replace Without Trashing Original Text
@ 2004-08-02  2:45   ` Tennis Smith
From: Tennis Smith @ 2004-08-02  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks.

-T

@ 2004-08-02 14:56 ` Yair Friedman
From: Yair Friedman @ 2004-08-02 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 03:37:48 -0700,
"Tennis Smith" <tennis_smith@yahoo-remove-to-reply.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> How can I convert something like this
>
> $GLOBAL_VAR
>
> to this:
>
> $global_array(GLOBAL_VAR)
>
> ??
>
> Its easy to do a regexp query/replace for "\$[A-Z]", but I don't really want
> to change either the leading dollar sign ("$") or the trailing uppercase
> text (GLOBAL_VAR).

You want to replace "\$\([A-Z_]+\)" with "$global_array(\1)", but as
Kai suggested keyboard macros are more easy most of the time.