After some consideration and washing off the feeling that I am wasting my time, I have reworked my previous patch to test at boot time whether GDI+ is available (gdiplus_v3.diff). It implements a generic "native-image-api" option which can be extended to OSX (I have a patch, but I have no machines to test it so it is not attached). It does not implement a new image type. Instead, it places the native backends at the front and continues searching the image list when those backends are not active. I find that treating the native backend as a second class citizen, as ImageMagick, is not ok. But most important, I find that the abstraction of backend = image-type is broken. Regarding previous discussions, I believe the concerns about GDI+ becoming deprecated are irrelevant in comparison to the fact that Emacs is using already a deprecated API, namely GDI, which is older and equally prone to disappear in favor of Direct2d/WIC. Regarding unicode, GDI+ requires WCHAR. Therefore the backend refuses to initialize if w32-unicode-filenames is NIL, defaulting to other backends. However, if the user changes this variable from T to NIL after the backend has been initialized, the backend will remain active but refuse to load images. I have fixed the use of terminal hooks, due to insistance. However, that meant one function declaration had to be added to w32term.h I have not changed the use of SSDATA in the :data field of images. If this is a problem, it is so in all of image.c. I have touch my Emacs installation to avoid removing the double spaces after a dot, but I am not 100% sure all is Kosher. I go to bed. If you still find that this patch is not acceptable, I am not going to work any more on it. I developed it to minimize the number of dependencies of Emacs on the Windows platform, but that does not seem to be a priority around here. Best, -- Juan José García Ripoll http://juanjose.garciaripoll.com http://quinfog.hbar.es