all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Setting face attribute with height specification
@ 2024-06-22 21:59 Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-06-22 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Is there a possibility to sent the font height when using these

(set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "URW Chancery L")

(set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "UnPilgia")

* Re: Setting face attribute with height specification
@ 2024-06-23  5:08 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-06-23  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2024 21:59:55 +0000
> From: Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>
>
> Is there a possibility to sent the font height when using these
>

> (set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "URW Chancery L")
>
> (set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "UnPilgia")

Yes, but only if you use :family, not :font.  You should use :family
and :height attributes.  Using :font specifies the font _and_ its
height.

* Re: Setting face attribute with height specification
@ 2024-06-23 14:58   ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-06-23 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

On Sunday, June 23rd, 2024 at 5:08 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2024 21:59:55 +0000
> > From: Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com
> >
> > Is there a possibility to sent the font height when using these
> >
> > (set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "URW Chancery L")
> >
> > (set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "UnPilgia")
>

> Yes, but only if you use :family, not :font. You should use :family
> and :height attributes. Using :font specifies the font and its
> height.

Could not get tho family to be set correctly with

(buffer-face-mode-invoke
  '(:family "URW Chancery L" :height (string-to-number face-height)) t)

and

@ 2024-06-23 17:31     ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-06-23 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday, June 23rd, 2024 at 2:58 PM, Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, June 23rd, 2024 at 5:08 AM, Eli Zaretskii eliz@gnu.org wrote:
>
> > > Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2024 21:59:55 +0000
> > > From: Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com
> > >
> > > Is there a possibility to sent the font height when using these
> > >
> > > (set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "URW Chancery L")
> > >
> > > (set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "UnPilgia")
> >
> > Yes, but only if you use :family, not :font. You should use :family
> > and :height attributes. Using :font specifies the font and its
> > height.
>

> Could not get tho family to be set correctly with

The following is telling me

Invalid face attribute :height (string-to-number face-height)

> (buffer-face-mode-invoke
> '(:family "URW Chancery L" :height (string-to-number face-height)) t)

And this does not change the family (when using "Wargames" for instance)

@ 2024-06-23 17:54       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-06-23 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 17:31:02 +0000
> From: Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > > Yes, but only if you use :family, not :font. You should use :family
> > > and :height attributes. Using :font specifies the font and its
> > > height.
> >

> > Could not get tho family to be set correctly with
>
> The following is telling me
>
> Invalid face attribute :height (string-to-number face-height)
>
> > (buffer-face-mode-invoke
> > '(:family "URW Chancery L" :height (string-to-number face-height)) t)
>
> And this does not change the family (when using "Wargames" for instance)
>
> > (set-face-attribute 'default nil
> > :family "URW Chancery L" :height (string-to-number face-height))

Maybe you use incorrect family name?  The list of available families
is produced by the function font-family-list.

* Re: Setting face attribute with height specification
@ 2024-06-23 18:09         ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-06-23 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday, June 23rd, 2024 at 5:54 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 17:31:02 +0000
> > From: Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii eliz@gnu.org, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > > Could not get tho family to be set correctly with
> >
> > The following is telling me
> >
> > Invalid face attribute :height (string-to-number face-height)
> >
> > > (buffer-face-mode-invoke
> > > '(:family "URW Chancery L" :height (string-to-number face-height)) t)
> >
> > And this does not change the family (when using "Wargames" for instance)
> >
> > > (set-face-attribute 'default nil
> > > :family "URW Chancery L" :height (string-to-number face-height))
>

> Maybe you use incorrect family name? The list of available families
> is produced by the function font-family-list.

I did not use that list, but the output from fc-list.

Have called (font-family-list) but the list gets truncated with "..."

("Noto Sans Bengali UI" "STIXIntegralsUp" "Noto Sans Canadian Aboriginal"
 "Noto Sans Devanagari UI" "UnGraphic" "Noto Serif Sinhala" "Noto Sans Malayalam"
 "Noto Serif Armenian" "Noto Sans Khmer" "Noto Sans Gurmukhi" "Junkyard" "wasy10" ...)

* Re: Setting face attribute with height specification
@ 2024-06-23 18:21           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-06-23 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 18:09:09 +0000
> From: Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> On Sunday, June 23rd, 2024 at 5:54 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > > Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 17:31:02 +0000
> > > From: Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com
> > > Cc: Eli Zaretskii eliz@gnu.org, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> > >
> > > The following is telling me
> > >
> > > Invalid face attribute :height (string-to-number face-height)

> > > And this does not change the family (when using "Wargames" for instance)

> > Maybe you use incorrect family name? The list of available families
> > is produced by the function font-family-list.
>
> I did not use that list, but the output from fc-list.
>
> Have called (font-family-list) but the list gets truncated with "..."
>
> ("Noto Sans Bengali UI" "STIXIntegralsUp" "Noto Sans Canadian Aboriginal"
>  "Noto Sans Devanagari UI" "UnGraphic" "Noto Serif Sinhala" "Noto Sans Malayalam"
>  "Noto Serif Armenian" "Noto Sans Khmer" "Noto Sans Gurmukhi" "Junkyard" "wasy10" ...)

The "..." is the standard Emacs way of showing long lists.  Move point
there and press RET, and you will see the full list.

* Re: Setting face attribute with height specification
@ 2024-06-23 18:34             ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-06-23 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday, June 23rd, 2024 at 6:21 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 18:09:09 +0000
> > From: Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > > Maybe you use incorrect family name? The list of available families
> > > is produced by the function font-family-list.
> >
> > I did not use that list, but the output from fc-list.
> >
> > Have called (font-family-list) but the list gets truncated with "..."
> >
> > ("Noto Sans Bengali UI" "STIXIntegralsUp" "Noto Sans Canadian Aboriginal"
> > "Noto Sans Devanagari UI" "UnGraphic" "Noto Serif Sinhala" "Noto Sans Malayalam"
> > "Noto Serif Armenian" "Noto Sans Khmer" "Noto Sans Gurmukhi" "Junkyard" "wasy10" ...)
>

> The "..." is the standard Emacs way of showing long lists. Move point
> there and press RET, and you will see the full list.

I used the following command in the minibuffer, but as soon as I click into
the minibuffer to press RET, the contents are removed.

(font-family-list) C-x C-x

Have also done the following function, but the list is too
long and gets truncated in the messages buffer.

(defun falfont-famlist ()

  (interactive)

  (dolist (font (font-family-list))

    (message "%s" font)

    (sit-for 1)))

* Re: Setting face attribute with height specification
@ 2024-06-23 18:44     ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2024-06-23 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 23 Jun 2024 at 21:59, Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Could not get tho family to be set correctly with
>
> (buffer-face-mode-invoke
>   '(:family "URW Chancery L" :height (string-to-number face-height)) t)

You have quoted the whole list and so :height gets the value of
'(string-to-number face-height) rather than the result of evaluating
that as a function invocation. Go re-read the part of the textbook
that talks about basic Lisp syntax.

Possible solution:

From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-06-23 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 18:34:43 +0000
> From: Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > > Have called (font-family-list) but the list gets truncated with "..."
> > >
> > > ("Noto Sans Bengali UI" "STIXIntegralsUp" "Noto Sans Canadian Aboriginal"
> > > "Noto Sans Devanagari UI" "UnGraphic" "Noto Serif Sinhala" "Noto Sans Malayalam"
> > > "Noto Serif Armenian" "Noto Sans Khmer" "Noto Sans Gurmukhi" "Junkyard" "wasy10" ...)
> >

> > The "..." is the standard Emacs way of showing long lists. Move point
> > there and press RET, and you will see the full list.
>
> I used the following command in the minibuffer, but as soon as I click into
> the minibuffer to press RET, the contents are removed.
>
> (font-family-list) C-x C-x

Use it in *scratch*, not in the minibuffer.  Then the list will not be
truncated after you press RET on the ellipsis, but will be shown
inside *scratch*, and you can scroll over it or search for the
families you want.

* Re: Setting face attribute with height specification
@ 2024-06-23 18:49       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-06-23 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 01:44:46 +0700
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Possible solution:
>
>     `(:family "URW Chancery L" :height ,(string-to-number face-height))

There should be no need for backticks and their ilk in this case.  The
values should be evaluated right away.

* Re: Setting face attribute with height specification
@ 2024-06-23 19:04         ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-06-23 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday, June 23rd, 2024 at 6:49 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Yuri Khan yuri.v.khan@gmail.com
> > Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 01:44:46 +0700
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii eliz@gnu.org, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > Possible solution:
> >
> > `(:family "URW Chancery L" :height ,(string-to-number face-height))
>

> There should be no need for backticks and their ilk in this case. The
> values should be evaluated right away.

Yuri is likely correct because the following does work, whereas without the backtick
and commas, it fails.

(buffer-face-mode-invoke `(:family ,face-family :height ,(string-to-number face-height)) t)

But still have got a problem with this one here

(set-face-attribute 'default nil :family face-family :height (string-to-number face-height))

* Re: Setting face attribute with height specification
@ 2024-06-23 19:19                 ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-06-23 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday, June 23rd, 2024 at 6:47 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 18:34:43 +0000
> > From: Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > > The "..." is the standard Emacs way of showing long lists. Move point
> > > there and press RET, and you will see the full list.
> >
> > I used the following command in the minibuffer, but as soon as I click into
> > the minibuffer to press RET, the contents are removed.
> >
> > (font-family-list) C-x C-x
>

> Use it in scratch, not in the minibuffer. Then the list will not be
> truncated after you press RET on the ellipsis, but will be shown
> inside scratch, and you can scroll over it or search for the
> families you want.

Although I have executed the command in scratch, the output is printed in a new created buffer that pops up below the scratch buffer.

* Re: Setting face attribute with height specification
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-06-23 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 19:19:22 +0000
> From: Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > > (font-family-list) C-x C-x
> >

> > Use it in scratch, not in the minibuffer. Then the list will not be
> > truncated after you press RET on the ellipsis, but will be shown
> > inside scratch, and you can scroll over it or search for the
> > families you want.
>
> Although I have executed the command in scratch, the output is printed in a new created buffer that pops up below the scratch buffer.

Evaluate the expression in *scratch* with "C-j" with point at the
right closing parenthesis.  (Sorry, I never imagined I need to explain
such basics to someone who wants to delve into fonts, families, and
faces.)